Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Eos (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-eos-43/)
-   -   2008 VW EOS DSG Transmission Issues (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-eos-43/2008-vw-eos-dsg-transmission-issues-37871/)

loganlj2 04-29-2019 07:13 PM

2008 VW EOS DSG Transmission Issues

2008 VW EOS DSG Transmission Issues

Hello,

I have a 2008 VW EOS with an automatic transmission that currently has these two fault codes:
P0733
Pending - P2711

The vehicle will be driving, and then loudly trash, drop into a lower gear, and start flashing PRNDS. It also trashes into reverse and 1st, and rolls a bit forward before reverse engages. If i pull over and "power cycle" the car, it will usually go away for a few minutes before it happens again.

I have my theory on what the issue is, but was hoping to get another take on the issue and either confirm or deny my theory.

Thanks!

Keithuk 04-30-2019 08:43 AM

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

What were those error codes scanned with VAG-COM\VCDS?

VAG Error Code: 17117/21149/001843

EOBD II Error Code: P0733

Fault Location:
Transmission Shift-Range Controller, Gear 3 - Incorrect Ratio

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Incorrect transmission shifting.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Dirty transmission fluid.
Low transmission fluid.
Sensor Gear Position Indicator faulty.
Gear Solenoids faulty.
Mechanical failure.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Sensor Gear Position Indicator.
Check Gear Solenoids.

Special Notes:
The gear monitoring of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) (J217) checks the gear ratio by comparing transmission input and output speed in regard of the currently selected gear. This fault code is being set when recognizing an implausible transmission ratio.

Tech Notes:
Start by inspecting the transmission fluid level and condition, and change fluid if necessary.

When is the code detected?:
P0733 is detected when A/T cannot be shifted to the 3rd gear position even if electrical circuit is good.

Description:
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:

Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B.
A: Output shaft revolution signal from speed sensor (revolution sensor).
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM).
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which Transmission Control Module (TCM) supposes.

If the actual gear position is higher than the position supposed by Transmission Control Module (TCM), the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, Transmission Control Module (TCM) judges this diagnosis malfunction.

VAG Error Code: 19143/21181/21188/010001

EOBD II Error Code: P2711

Fault Location:
Unexpected/Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement - No Signal/Communication or Incorrect Basic Setting/Adaptation

Possible Cause:
Transmission Malfunction.
Erratic Driving Behaviour.

Double Clutch worn/faulty.
Output Shaft Speed Sensor 1/2 (G501/G502) faulty.
Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) Mechatronic Control Unit (J743) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Output Shaft Speed Sensor 1/2 (G501/G502).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) Mechatronic Control Unit (J743).

Special Notes:
When found in 6-Speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG/02E), check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 008. The Output Shaft Speeds should align with the Input Shaft Speed during a Test Drive (Tiptronic in Gear 1/2) with the Clutch engaged.
According to Skoda Technical Product Information (TPI) 2024152 an updated Clutch Set is available which addresses these issues.
Perform Basic Setting

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Post moved to the correct sub forum as OP can't read them. ;)

loganlj2 04-30-2019 11:35 AM

Thank you very much for your reply! The codes were taken with a generic ELM scanner, but later confirmed with VCDS Lite. I will check the shaft speeds when I get home from work tonight and report back! It would be awesome if all I had needed this whole time was an $80.00 speed sensor.

loganlj2 04-30-2019 07:01 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volkswa...5aaad3c8ea.jpg

Originally Posted by Keithuk (Post 65270)
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

What were those error codes scanned with VAG-COM\VCDS?

VAG Error Code: 17117/21149/001843

EOBD II Error Code: P0733

Fault Location:
Transmission Shift-Range Controller, Gear 3 - Incorrect Ratio

Possible Cause:
Incorrect transmission shifting.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Dirty transmission fluid.
Low transmission fluid.
Sensor Gear Position Indicator faulty.
Gear Solenoids faulty.
Mechanical failure.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Sensor Gear Position Indicator.
Check Gear Solenoids.

Special Notes:
The gear monitoring of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) (J217) checks the gear ratio by comparing transmission input and output speed in regard of the currently selected gear. This fault code is being set when recognizing an implausible transmission ratio.

Tech Notes:
Start by inspecting the transmission fluid level and condition, and change fluid if necessary.

When is the code detected?:
P0733 is detected when A/T cannot be shifted to the 3rd gear position even if electrical circuit is good.

Description:
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:

Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B.
A: Output shaft revolution signal from speed sensor (revolution sensor).
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM).
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which Transmission Control Module (TCM) supposes.

If the actual gear position is higher than the position supposed by Transmission Control Module (TCM), the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, Transmission Control Module (TCM) judges this diagnosis malfunction.

VAG Error Code: 19143/21181/21188/010001

EOBD II Error Code: P2711

Fault Location:
Unexpected/Implausible Mechanical Gear Disengagement - No Signal/Communication or Incorrect Basic Setting/Adaptation

Possible Cause:
Transmission Malfunction.
Erratic Driving Behaviour.

Double Clutch worn/faulty.
Output Shaft Speed Sensor 1/2 (G501/G502) faulty.
Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) Mechatronic Control Unit (J743) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Output Shaft Speed Sensor 1/2 (G501/G502).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) Mechatronic Control Unit (J743).

Special Notes:
When found in 6-Speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG/02E), check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 008. The Output Shaft Speeds should align with the Input Shaft Speed during a Test Drive (Tiptronic in Gear 1/2) with the Clutch engaged.
According to Skoda Technical Product Information (TPI) 2024152 an updated Clutch Set is available which addresses these issues.
Perform Basic Setting

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Post moved to the correct sub forum as OP can't read them. ;)

Hello -

Just took the car for a test drive while having a passenger monitor the Input / Output shaft speeds. It seems like the output shaft speed stayed around 1/4 what the input shaft speed was the whole drive (around 6 miles) would the next step be to replace the transmission output shaft speed sensor?

Thanks!

Keithuk 05-01-2019 07:19 AM

VCDS Lite has limited functions so you may not be able to show all details.

loganlj2 05-01-2019 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk (Post 65275)
VCDS Lite has limited functions so you may not be able to show all details.

I actually just purchased VCDS with the HEX-V2 cable last night - i'll try doing this test again when it comes in.

Keithuk 05-02-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by loganlj2 (Post 65276)
I actually just purchased VCDS with the HEX-V2 cable last night - i'll try doing this test again when it comes in.

When your new cable comes make sure you register it, then you can join Ross-Tech forum

After your intro make a new thread about your problems with a full AutoScan attacked. There are far more experts on there than Google.

Jack richer 12-20-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk (Post 65277)
When your new cable comes make sure you register it, then you can join <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->filezilla uc browser rufus<a href="http://forums.ross-tech.com/?styleid=5">Ross-Tech forum</a><br /><br />After your intro make a new thread about your problems with a full AutoScan attacked. There are far more experts on there than Google.

<br /><span style="color:#000000;">Thank you very much for your reply!</span>