Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Post Help!

My father died this past November. This Volkswagen was really the only thing he owned, and I told him I would try to fix it. The car has been at my grandfather's house since my dad died. I tried to arrange towing back in February when I had the funds to do so and my grandpa had the freshly-machined cylinder head, title and keys then. Fast forward to now.. I've finally gotten a truck to tow the car with, but everything else is missing. I found that I don't need the title to transfer the car into my name since I have my father's death certificate. The other two items will cause me problems. I currently can't move the car because of the electronic shift lock. Is there a way around this? I ordered a new ignition lock cylinder and key for it, but would prefer to replace them in my garage. As for a cylinder head.. is there anything in specific I should look for in the salvage yards? Anything that can warn me of potential problems? I really hate having to use a head that I know nothing about.. Is there a certain year/model range that will fit my car? Can I ONLY use one from a 96? Does the Cabrio engine vary at all from the ones found in the other mk3 Volkswagens? Any help you can give is very much appreciate. Thanks.