1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap

Old 01-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Default 1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap

Hello, I am new to this forum and need help getting my project on the road. With any replies, please note which issue you are commenting on. Thanks

To give you some vehicle history, it is a 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet with a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L gas engine swap. The previous owner had one too many projects so I took this promising one off of his hands.
Issue 1: Interior:
It did not have an interior so I sourced a decent one, front bucket seats and rear bench seat. (resolved)
Issue 2: Wheel Center Caps:
OEM wheel center caps. I sourced 4 center caps for the wheels. When they arrived they were unfortunately too large in diameter by about a 1/2 inch. Thus, I measured the diameter that needed to fit and shaved down the plastic center caps using a dremel tool. Fit like a glove now. My wife said they look like they were made for it. I plan on painting the wheels and center caps eventually. (resolved)
Issue 3: Power Windows:
The windows were down halfway. I connected power from a battery to the window motor on driver side and was able to put the window up but it goes up too far. When I started digging into the passenger side, I had a bit more issues with. The window was off the regulator. I eventually got the regulator out without breaking the window and tested it before putting it back in. I successfully reinstalled the regulator in the door and used the battery to the window motor to put it up. Again, this goes up too far. I noticed that down in the door window cavity that there was a metal piece that looked like a "V" that had place for a screw to go in. The driver side door had it on the regulator but I have no idea how to adjust it without breaking something. Any help would be appreciated. (unresolved)
Issue 4: Manual Shift Linkage:
Shift linkage needs to be adjusted. I purchased a bushing kit and I have not yet installed it. cabby-info.com has step by step instructions on this process. (unresolved but on the radar)
Issue 5: Wheel Cylinder:

I am waiting on working on my brakes until I have the motor running. (unresolved but on my radar)
Issue 6: Exterior Trim:

I recently sourced all 6 trim pieces that are in decent shape but need some touch up rubber or paint. Any thoughts on which type of material/coating to use? (unresolved)

These next issues I need serious TLC advice with:
Issue 7: Instrument Cluster:
It did not have an instrument cluster or the trim to go around it. I sourced the trim pieces from where I got the interior. As far as the instrument cluster, I did my research before buying and since the cabby has an airbag, I needed to purchase one from the years 1990-1993. I purchased one from a seller that said that the cluster was tested before shipping and that he hasn't sold one with a non-working tach. After receiving it, I plugged in the wiring harnesses as well as the speedometer cable. I turned the key to the ignition to the on position and nothing lit up I tried the dimmer switch near the headlights with no luck. I had an another headlight/dimmer switch I had swapped out with no luck. My next step is replacing the 3 "backlight" bulbs to see if that at least lights something up. Help! (unresolved)
Issue 8: Random Wiring Harnesses In Engine bay:
The engine bay has a couple of wiring harnesses that aren't connected to anything. I am assuming that with the conversion, there were wiring harnesses that were hopefully not needed. Once I take a few pictures I will post them to this thread. (unresolved)
Main Issue 9: Engine Is Not Starting:
The engine cranks but does not fire. The previous owner said that the wiring harness needed to be spliced to accommodate the swap. He showed me the video of when he had it running. He said that I needed a fuel relay. I looked at the fuse panel and noticed that there wasn't one plugged into the correct location. I sourced a relay and plugged it in. Again no luck getting it fired up. I unplugged it to see if the engine sounded any different when cranking it. It sounded the same. I double checked to see if there was gas in the car and since my instrument cluster isn't working to see the gas meter working, I added a gallon of gas. Again, no luck firing.Help! (unresolved)
I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read my thread and I am extremely grateful for any reply helping me with my issues with my cabby. Please share this thread to anyone that would be able to provide any input concerning my project.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-24-2018, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.