bizarre electrical malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Default bizarre electrical malfunction

I have a 98 Cabrio that has got me puzzled. This evening it decided not to start. The car tries to turn over but goes no farther. To compound things I get no indicator/warning lights or instruments (gas gauge and such),the turn signals don't work nor do the power windows. I was able to push start and it ran for a couple of minutes then died. Just replaced the starter a month ago and things were running fine. All fuses are good (that I could find). Help. Was thinking along the lines of the ignition as the keys are a little worn but any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in a small town and no VW people around. Thanks

John

Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: bizarre electrical malfunction

Check the ECU, if all the fuses are good, and you can use the clutch to jump it..it's either a frayed wire, or the ECU crapped out.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Sounds like you have a dead battery caused by the alternator not charging,dirty battery connections or a defective battery.Let me know.Good luck.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:04 AM

Indeed, you really have a bizarre malfunctioning VW cabrio parts, really glad it never happened to my VW... if all your fuses are in good shape, I'm guessing that your alternator is the one that is malfunctioning... Or better yet, if you could check if you have a faulty wiring... Goodluck...

Old 03-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Well Mocabrio,have any of our suggestions helped you.Give us some feedback on your findings.We are here to help and learn .Awaiting your prompt reply,lou7200

Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi guys. I'm new to posting so please bear with me. I just picked up a 95 cabrio. I had the clutch changed at a Volkswagen dealer. After I got it back my speedometer started to fail (peaked at 35mph). Shortly after my tach started to fail, then the odometer stopped turning and the clock froze. I spoke to the dealer/parts rep and he said that this problem, failure of the instrument cluster, was indicative of these models. This problem was intermittent for a bit but now the only things that work on my instrument cluster is the temp guage and the fuel gauge. I suspect that there is an electrical short or loose cable. As this is my first VW, I am not familiar with its little intricacies. Any help is welcomed. Also, I've read somewhere, i forget where, that sometimes the car is hard to start, esp in cold weather, which is due to relay #3. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? thanks again. Love the car btw.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM

First thing you should have done was to talk with shop rep. not the parts guy.,most of the time they don't know heads for tails,unless he is a VW freak.I am almost sure your event is due to something like a loose -faultyground connection and /or speed sensor connect that was broken or incorrectly installed while the tranny was being handled to replace the clutch. Since it occured immediately after the clutch was replaced ,I am almost sure it is related to a sloppy job.Good luck,let us know the outcome.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 AM

Lou7200... I'll get back to the dealer as soon as possible. Im very busy with work so I wont be able to get back to the dealer for a bout a weeek. I've poured over the chilton manual but it doesnt go into too much detail about the electric schematics. All I found out is that there are three separate power leads that lead to the instrument cluster. I'm going to try to do a visual inspection as well as, if i can, find a fix for the problem. I do intend to take this up with the dealer. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure ill be posting again very soon. Oh! Btw.. what kind of exhaust would you guys recommend for this vehicle? prefferably something quiet.(not OEM) also... what brand/kind of shocks/struts and springs would you guys recommend. i want to lower the car minimally. thanks again! ciao!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM

does anyone know which relays commonly go bad in these cars? my car wont start. i think its a relay. if i can get it started i can take it to be serviced.please help. thanks

Old 06-30-2007, 10:05 PM

My 1998 carbio used to have issues where it would stall and be difficult to restart in humid or rainy weather. I opened the hood and sprayed different parts with water. As soon as I hit the coil (at other end of center distributor wire, located at base of windshield under hood), the car stalled and would not restart for 15-20 minutes. I replaced the coil and never had the issue again after being stranded a fw times in the rain.

Quick Reply: bizarre electrical malfunction