1995 cabrio 4 speed auto transmission problem or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Default 1995 cabrio 4 speed auto transmission problem or not?

I am new to the vw scene. Recently purchased a 1995 Cabrio. I have recently invested a small fortune in possible transmission problems and replacement. Now i don't know if I have a problem or not. I cannot find any information at all on the internet that solves my problem.

The car is a 4 speed automatic. I have noticed that the engine runs 3000 r.p.m. at 65 mph. To me, that seems like a bit much on the r.p.m range. The transmission is shifting through all 4 gears, however, I took the car to 2 reputable transmission shops as I thought that the overdrive was not working, as this may be causing the problem. Both transmission shops said that the transmission was working properly, however, the torque converter was not locking out. I was told that the torque converter is supposed to lock out at approxiamately 2500 r.p.m. Both shops said that the transmission was most likely junk and needed to be replaced.
I purchased a salvage yard tranny, had a mechanic install it...low and behold the same problem still existed. All 4 gears working properly, however, still high r.p.m s at 65 mph. The mechanic pulled that tranny, sent it back in exchange for another. The 2nd tranny was installed and boom...same problem. Now the mechanic has told me that the problem is in my head! He said that the 4 speed tranny is shifting all 4 gears properly, and the torque converter does not act as another gear. He said that the overdrive is 4th gear in the transmission, and overdrive is not the torque converter! He also said that 3000 r.p.m range at 65 mph is the usual operating range for this car.
I feel that he is just tired of dealing with me at this point. When each of the trannys were installed the ecu was reprogrammed.
Does anyone know if 3000 r.p.m at 65 mph is normal? Is the 4th gear in the transmission the overdrive or is the overdrive the locking out torque converter? I have only driven the car for 1500 miles like this. Now all the shops are telling me to drive it this way as it will not hurt the engine constently running around 3000 rpm as that is the normal range.
I could really use any information and help with identifying this problem.

Thank you Kenton peacefulhaven2007@yahoo.com