Trying to figure out what this is worth

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Default Trying to figure out what this is worth

I have a 1962 vw bug that i purchased in 2006.

I was recently restored and then wrecked by previous owners and then i purchased it for 2,200 dollars.

It has some body damage above the passenger side door and and down on the bottom behind the passenger door. The generator needs to be replaced and the rear passenger side suspension boot is leaking due to a tear in it.

Other than that it's in great condition, and it is my daily driver.

here is one bad pics of it, i'll get better ones if needed

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6.../frontside.jpg

if anyone could give me just a base price it i would appreciate it!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Trying to figure out what this is worth

i posted a similiar question not 2 weeks ago on this forum and vw forums,there were many views but only one reply which he said to look at nada to get a ballpark price.i hope that helps good luck on selling it,it kinda helped me

Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Better pics necessary.

First off it all depends how bad the damage is. Check the frame take measurements and see if it's still square and whatnot. Essentially if the frame is shot, you'll be looking to sell to someone to use as parts, or someone that's got a hell of a drive and ambition to replace the frame and get her going again. Depending on the damage, I don't think you'll get near what you paid for it especially since the generator is shot and suspension has a leak.

I paid $400 for my '72 Super with a few minor rust spots and a few easily fixed mechanical problems and my engine has upgrades as well as less than 10K miles on a fresh rebuild. Should tell you something there.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM

I'll get better pics soon

frame is all square, not to mention the car would be sold with a new passenger side door new passenger side floor pan and new passenger side rear fender, i just never had the ambition of cash to switch them out and get it painted. The generator is a 100 dollar fix for a rebuild and the boot can be replaced by somebody that knows what they are doing.

I also have a file containing receipts for EVERY time it has been in a shop, also a whole set of tires that is around 90 percent tread left.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 AM

Your biggest issue is going to be the market in the area. With the new parts, you might get a few hundred over what you paid originally. But it all depends on the demand. If noone wants to buy a bug then you'll have to lower the price to something a bit more enticing. But if the area is extremely interested in the bug then you might get a bit more than what it's worth. Supply and demand I can't say for sure as I don't know the area. I have a car I'm selling and noone is even interested even though it's got a brand new engine in it and alot of performance parts. I have around $4000 in the engine of the car and only listed it at $5000 with tons of extra parts but noone has even looked at it.