head lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Default head lights?

Hello. My 1998 VW Beetle headlights keep blowing out. I have heard its common for these cars. Anyone know how to fix it? Anyone have this problem, too?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Default RE: head lights?

I'm not really familiar with these cars, but if all you have to replace is the bulb (pulls out of the socket), then you need to make absolutely sure that you DO NOT touch the bulb glass as the oil will cause it to shatter when it gets hot.

Otherwise, make sure all the fuses have the correct amp rating. Have you talked to a dealer at all?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM

The fuses are correct otherwise they would blow and I haven't touched the bulbs. It is only the low beams that blow out about every couple of months and it's the driver's sidethat always goes before the passenger's side. Haven't talked to the dealer because i bought it used two years ago and he really sold me a lemon so I don't trust him anymore. i have my boyfriend, who is a certified mechanic, replace them.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM

find a different dealer then. you may save more money actually fixing the problem instead of replacing the bulbs a couple times a year.

anyone can change light bulbs, so if he's a certified mechanic, why doesn't he fix the problem?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 PM

Changing the headlamp blub on one of these is not an easy process. You have to remove the entire headlamp assembly from the front end to accomplish this. You have to release the spring clamp then rotate the housing release lever upward(toward the hood) and then pull the housing forward enough to remove the electrical connectors. As you can imagine it isnot an easy process. What happens when this is done too often is the headlamp mount gets worn and the housing doesn't sit in it very tight. This allows the housing to vibrate during normal operation of the vehicle. Over time the bulb will fail , especially if it is the low beam which is also your daytime running lights.If the housing comes out and can be put back in very easily, it is worn out. It should be quite stiff onremoval and return. Tighten up the mount and your trouble may go away.