Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Beetle (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-beetle-20/)
-   -   Cooling fans not coming on (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-beetle-20/cooling-fans-not-coming-37854/)

DBirdsong 04-01-2019 07:08 PM

Cooling fans not coming on

Good evening ladies and gents. I have a concern for our little blue Beetle. To bring everyone up to speed, we bought a used 2001 Beetle GL 2.0L. We had a crank with no start going on. Found that the coil wasn't plugged in. After plugging it back in, tune up and oil change she runs really well. We also found the coolant flange on the back of the head was cracked, we replaced that too. Coolant it topped off as needed. After driving the car for 1.5 miles down the road and letting it idle for another 30+ minutes, the fans never kicked on. We didn't get a temp light on the instrument panel either. So now i am a little confused, is this thing that good at cooling? or do i have an issue here. For the record this is the first VW I have ever owned and dealt with. Many thanks!!

Keithuk 04-02-2019 07:54 AM

So you sorted the non start problem the coil wasn't connected. Did you find the 109 relay?

The cooling fan not kicking in count be a few problems. Wiring/connectors on components.

Sensor or module. You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

DBirdsong 04-02-2019 02:48 PM

Yep, she purrs like kitten now. I didn't mess with 109 relay since it starts and runs.

As far as the scan tool is concerned, has anyone had luck with any from Amazon or Ebay. i have found a few that "says" it is capable of VAG-COM/VCDS.

Keithuk 04-03-2019 07:13 AM

VAG-COM/VCDS that are capable doesn't mean much especially if they are cheap Chinese cloned cables of fleabay. Only a genuine VAG-COM/VCDS cables are capable.

The 109 relay you need to check if you do have one, as I've said they can go faulty at anytime and the car will crank all day and never start.

paityda 09-28-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk (Post 65217)
So you sorted the non start problem the coil wasn't connected. Did you find the 109 relay?

The cooling fan not kicking in count be a few Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l problems. Wiring/connectors on components.

Sensor or module. You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

So now i am a little confused, is this thing that good at cooling? or do i have an issue here. For the record this is the first VW I have ever owned and dealt with. Many thanks!!

Keithuk 09-29-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by paityda (Post 65693)
So now i am a little confused, is this thing that good at cooling? or do i have an issue here. For the record this is the first VW I have ever owned and dealt with. Many thanks!!

Your don't have a problem here. The thread is cooling fans.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.