2001 Beetle, ISS, OSS, TurbineSS, Incorrect gear ratio.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Question 2001 Beetle, ISS, OSS, TurbineSS, Incorrect gear ratio.

Hello, I currently have bought a 2001 beetle from a friend for around 750.

I was told the Output Speed Sensor was in need of replacement due to possible damage and he said he replaced the Input Speed senor.

To reduce headache, I removed the mounting bracket and the engine mount and replaced both, INDEED!!! the Outsput speed sensor was in fact shredded to bit.

These are the sensors I bought for replacement from amazon.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I had some issues re-aligning the aluminum bracket with the motor mount and had to re-tap some holes. (This was corrected and aligned properly)

My issue now is this, when started the motor runs and sounds fine then kills itself, my OBD2 picks up on this

OSS fault
ISS fault
Turbine speed sensor fault
Incorrect gear ratio

forgive me atm I do not have the codes directly they are written down after a long day of working on this vehicle.

The car ran and drove fine before repairs and im clueless on that because of the condition of the OSS, I made sure to install the sensors and was gentle as well, moving wiring out of the way of harm as well, but why am I receiving all these codes still even after I clear the codes?

Could this be a connection issue and I will try to figure out how to trace down, but I should really only be seeing 1 of these codes, 2 if unlucky, to see all to me im just stumped...

I will look into maybe I ordered the wrong sensor(s) possibly?

Maybe a bad connection!?

Maybe I need a better codes reset? (I am using this
Amazon Amazon
)

For now I am beat and just looking for helpful info, this is a tough job to have to undo the trans mounts and motor mounts just to change 2 sensors...

Old 08-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

Old 08-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Please tell us your car spec in your signature
2001 Beetle Gls 1.8l turbo

Although I don’t have the obd2 codes on hand the code faults are posted above in basic terms.

The forum never asked me to do anything up front either, so that’s not my fault.

oss sensor
iss sensor
turbine sensor
incorrect gear ratio

parts bought listed above as well, I will update when I get time but regarding your response, it doesn’t seem like you will be much help tbh...

codes will be posted later tonight, I can troubleshoot and repair myself and have enough experience to do so.

Be a little more friendly as well, I have seen some of you somewhat rude comments To a few people.

lets get along and work together!

I will clean this up and edit later providing after a ton of troubleshooting.

I am sure this is a sensor being wrong or damaged, maybe even a reset needed in some way for the ecu.

have a good day I’m off to work, and I posted in the newcomer area as well

Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Default Update on situation.

Ok so the original issue was Output Speed sensor and Input Speed sensor were going to get replaced to save me headache.

The OSS (Output Speed Sesnor) that was said to be damaged indeed was, the ISS was said to be replaced, but just in case to resolve later issues I replaced it also as well.

After doing so and re-aligning the mounts to the scratched in outline I embedded, I received the following fault codes.

OBD2
P0722 OSS no signal
P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor A Circuit

Tonight's update was this, after disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and restarting I receive no fault codes at all.

The problem now is this,

When I start the car it sounds fine, at around 1,500RPM it cuts off and shuts down.

This problem is re-occuring and consistent. I also here a small ringing alarm that is very very faint.

I will do more research, when everything is fixed I will update how to's on all of this, in the meantime if you have any ideas feel free to comment.

My thoughts, some sort of immobilizer triggered or maf or something, will troubleshoot.

OH!!!!, I can still unlock the doors, trunk, etc so would this be a immobilizer? Since I can still do all this?

Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

P0722 OSS no signal
P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor A Circuit

VAG Error Code: 17106/2228
EOBD II Error Code: P0722

Fault Location:
Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195) - No Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Speedometer improper reading.
Possible shifting problems.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Water damage at connector.
Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Special Notes:
When found in 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (01M) Transmissions
:
Check for any applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for overlay wiring harnesses as mentioned on the 01M page.
The terminal connector(s) for the Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195) and Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68) are the same and can be mixed up. This can give an "Implausible Signal". Verify sensors have the correct connector(s) using the wiring diagram and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) mentioned on the 01M page.

When is the code detected?:
The output shaft speed sensor failed to provide a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) upon initial movement of vehicle.

Description:
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68) detects the revolution of the idler gear parking pawl lock gear and emits a pulse signal. The pulse signal is sent to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which converts it into vehicle speed.

VAG Error Code: 17114/001840
EOBD II Error Code: P0730

Fault Location:
Gear Ratio Monitoring - Incorrect Gear Ratio

Possible Cause:
Incorrect transmission shifting.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Transmission Fluid contaminated.
Transmission range sensor/switch.
Transmission mechanical fault.

Possible Solutions:
Check Transmission Fluid (Colour and Contamination).
Replace Transmission Fluid when necessary.
Check Transmission Mechanics.

Special Notes:
Transmission Damage may be caused by Engine Problems, make sure there are no other/relevant Fault Codes stored in Engine Control Module.
When found in 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (01J/Multitronic):
Instructions on how to check the Transmission Fluid as well as Details on a special Test Kit can be found in Technical Product Information (TPI) 2016661. Technical Product Information (TPI) 2006088 may also be relevant.
A conversion from 6 to 7 Clutch Plates may be possible. See Technical Product Information (TPI) 2004856 for Details.

Tech Notes:
Start by inspecting the transmission fluid level and condition, and change fluid if necessary.

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) has detected that the transmission is trying to mechanically shift to a lower gear than intended.

Description:
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:

Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B.
A: Output shaft revolution signal from speed sensor (revolution sensor).
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM).
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which Transmission Control Module (TCM) supposes.

If the actual gear position is higher than the position supposed by Transmission Control Module (TCM), the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, Transmission Control Module (TCM) judges this diagnosis malfunction.

VAG Error Code: 17099
EOBD II Error Code: P0715

Fault Location:
Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182) - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Possible shifting problems.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182).
Engine Control Module (ECM)/Powertrain Control Module (PCM)/Transmission Control Module (TCM) (J217).

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0715 is detected when Transmission control module (TCM) (J217 or Engine Control Module (ECM) does not receive the proper signal from the sensor.

Description:
The input speed sensor detects the primary pulley revolution speed and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM).

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Old 08-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Default Keithuk,

Please read the last post I submitted thoroughly, the sensor codes are now clear and I seem to be having an issue now like an immobilized.

Codes are cleared, car is restarted, and no codes re-appear after another start.

Vehicle starts, idles up to around 1-1.5rpm, then shuts off 1 second after firing.

OBD2 is picking up zero codes now and gives me a green ok check.

Car will not stay on though.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

There are no immobilizer error codes listed, what was it scanned with VAG-COM\VCDS?