General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shuts down and wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Default Engine shuts down and wont restart

My first car was a 1985 Jetta and I liked everything about it so several years and a couple cars later I bought a used 2000. Outside of a slight exhaust leak everything had been running fine for about 5 months up until last Tuesday when I was coming off of the highway, heard 3 little clicks and my engine shut down and would not restart. I ended up getting it towed home and then after a jump start the next day I was driving it to my dad's house only to have the same thing happen coming off the exit. The battery needed replacing so I did that first and it started up fine afterwards. On the way to the auto parts store coming off the exit ramp I heard 3 little clicks followed by the engine shutting down and only restarting when I popped it. After these shutdowns the car will not start right away but if I wait +/- 15 minutes it is usually fine. The temp gauge hasn't risen above the 190 mark any of the times this has happened. The engine is the 2.0.

I know that was a somewhat long winded explanation but if anybody has any ideas or suggestions about a starting point for this issue they would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Engine shuts down and wont restart

hey! about your problem, I got this high quality Volkswagen rabbit starter which features all new hardware and insulators, new solid copper commutators and zinc plated backing plates. Most people don't think musch about their starter motor... regardless of your ride, i've got you covered with my huge selection of starters. Hight-torque starter motors and gear-reduction starter motors are available for many application. And don't forget your battery cables while you're picking up a new or rebuilt starter.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine shuts down and wont restart

I'm pretty sure starter has nothing to do with it. might be a sensor but I need a little bit more info.