General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rear brakes/interior brake light (“see owners manual”) question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Default Changing rear brakes/interior brake light (“see owners manual”) question.

I own a 03 Passat 1.8 sedan and I have a few questions concerning the brakes.

Question #1
From time to time a brake light appears on my instrument panel and also tells me to “see owners manual. I was told at a VW dealership (Jim Wynn VW in Pa) before the light even came on that I needed to flush the brake fluid. I was told from numerous source that the warning light has nothing to do with the brake fluid needed to be flushed however. I checked the reservoir to see if the fluid was low and was told that could be why the light was coming on. However, the oil level was fine so that couldn’t have been the cause for the light either…supposedly. I then checked my rear brakes and noticed they were low but I was told that there is no sensor on the rear brakes that would alert me at all of the brakes being low by alerting me via the “see owners manual” light. I am going to change my rear brakes in the next couple weeks though (see question #2). So, does anyone know what that brake light warning is a result of? I am obviously missing something here.

Question #2
I am going to change my rear brakes in the next couple weeks. I have changed brakes on numerous car makes before and just wanted to know if VW Passat’s have any unusual catches that I should look out for? Also, does anyone recommend a particular brand/type of replacement pads? I am not looking for the cheapest around but I am also not looking for expensive ultra high performance ones either.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jeffrey

Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Changing rear brakes/interior brake light (“see owners manual”) question.

Go with ceramic brake pads then. The brake wear sensor is in your front left brake pad. See if the harness is loose or if there is any exposed wire.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Changing rear brakes/interior brake light (“see owners manual”) question.

i have the same exact problem, my mechanic is letting me do my brakes on in their garage, and i got my parts from a place called fast undercar, its in lancaster, ca but ya my front brakes are fine, yet i need to change my rear brakes, but i know for sure, dont buy anything from autozone, or anything called duralst, if they have a lifetime warranty dont buy them they wont brake as well

Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: racerx002

Go with ceramic brake pads then. The brake wear sensor is in your front left brake pad. See if the harness is loose or if there is any exposed wire.
OK...thanks for the help. Any particular brand? Ahhhhhhhhh! So the wire may be messed up or something causing that light to go off. Are the lights/warning that I am explaining match that of when the front broke are low?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: dbaseballs

i have the same exact problem, my mechanic is letting me do my brakes on in their garage, and i got my parts from a place called fast undercar, its in lancaster, ca but ya my front brakes are fine, yet i need to change my rear brakes, but i know for sure, dont buy anything from autozone, or anything called duralst, if they have a lifetime warranty dont buy them they wont brake as well
I am guilty of buying from that place in the past lol. Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Could be they are just reaching the wear point and the light is flashing intermittently. Any pads will do in my opinion.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Could be they are just reaching the wear point and the light is flashing intermittently. Any pads will do in my opinion.
So that is the only reason that the light could be going on? Well that or it is malfunctioning. Why is VW telling me it has to do with the brake fluid reservoir? Could there be a clog in the line?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if it says it's the resevior, there is a sensor on the cap. See if the harness is connected and secured well. If it is, see if you are getting power at the harness there. If you are, you need a new resevior cap. If you aren't then you have a short or a fuse out. I can't imagine there would be anything clogging the system and the cap is a cheap fix.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Well, if it says it's the resevior, there is a sensor on the cap. See if the harness is connected and secured well. If it is, see if you are getting power at the harness there. If you are, you need a new resevior cap. If you aren't then you have a short or a fuse out. I can't imagine there would be anything clogging the system and the cap is a cheap fix.
I took off the cap and looked around with a flash light. I can't seem to find anything that looks like a wire at all. Where would it be?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

It should be on the cap. Unless they put it somewhere else on your model year.

Quick Reply: Changing rear brakes/interior brake light (“see owners manual”) question.