Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/)
-   -   Aftermarket Stereo Installation? (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/general-tech-7/aftermarket-stereo-installation-3549/)

corey_lynx 07-10-2007 04:39 AM

Aftermarket Stereo Installation?

Hi, Im new and was thinking about puting an aftermarket stereo in my 2001 VW Beetle. Is there anything specialI should know, or any reason why I shouldn't do this? thanks for any help,

Corey

Also, what is Monsoon sound system and how doI know ifI have it?

hobartt 10-08-2007 12:23 PM

RE: Aftermarket Stereo Installation?

i have the monsoon in my 2000 jetta and when u turn on the stereo it should read it across the screen, and i believe it is just the better stereo system in vws

tccdestroy 10-13-2007 11:37 AM

the beatle is a pain in the ass car to install an aftermarket cd player, especially if it has the monsoon system. I would strongly recommend having it professionaly installed. There is a special adapter face kit you need for it and it is available at most stereo shops. The experiance i have with it, i would avoid a cd player with a motorized or flip down face, it tends to get jamed in the adapter plate....good luck

newfonfire 04-02-2008 10:26 PM

Hey

I replaced my stereo in my Jetta with an aftermarket one. On a trip at the mechanics, he told me that I shouldn't have done this because the VW stereo has a computer chip with a wire that sends a message to the computer. Doesn't sound like a huge problem to me. The aftermarket stereo is still there!

Jrailer 04-02-2008 11:31 PM

its not a chip but it does send a signal to the data link conector
sometimes this will make a non comunication with a scaner or code reader
i worked on a audi TT with a stock stereo that had the fuse blown on the back of it and it wouldnt comunicate for a emmision test

mchawkins707 09-18-2008 03:03 PM

If you put an after market stereo into VW you are going to disconnect a grounding wire from the "Y" connector which is attached to the stereo wiring harness. This will make it so that you can not get a proper reading through your OBD-II connector. That means that any time you want to hook your car up to a diagnostics machine, or a dyno... No go. You will get an error reading. If you are unfortunate enough to live in a state that requires a SMOG check to register the vehicle then the vehicle will not pass smog. I had all of these problems listed above a few weeks ago. It is a huge pain and not worth it at all.

Jrailer 09-18-2008 07:17 PM

not true i put a sony in my sons 98 beetle and every thing still works great i tested it after the install and it all still reads fine
you just need the install harness for it and follow the manual