Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/exterior-10/)
-   -   Rims (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/exterior-10/rims-1358/)

myfast01 08-29-2006 05:18 PM

Rims

Recently i bought my gti and am i wanting to put some 18x8's on, well vw is odd and use studs instead of lugs, is there any trick to finding and or installing rims? please let me know thanks

Joelzy 08-30-2006 06:34 PM

RE: Rims

just look around, a lot of sites have a chart that will tell you size and offset you can use. try Bigwheels.net. i think they have a fitment chart and all.

bagel 08-31-2006 06:30 AM

Your local wheel and tire dealer will be able to tell you exactly what fits and what doesn't. Mine has lugs but the studs are attached to them. It was weird looking, mine's 5x100...if I remember right. My ADR's look sweet!

ScienceVR6 11-23-2006 07:22 AM

was it 5x100, or 5x112? im looking for rims for my VR6 and ive found 1 rim. its the speedy lite7 17x7, 7 spoke black centre with chrome lip

Joelzy 11-29-2006 11:15 AM

Hey guys, ive said it once and ill say it again... it really pays to look around.

I was digging around in the local classifieds and what could i come across?
oh yes, a set of barely used wheels a guy had on his neon.
I found the same wheels here- http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/wh...l.php?id=10250
for 145 per wheel, not to mention ridiculous prices for tires
he originally wanted much much more but i talked him down to 300 for the wheels and Ventus tires with about 95% tread.
all i need is small wheel spacers and tuner lugs to be set. though, i think im going to take the tires off and sell them for as much as i can get, basically if i make 300 for em, then i got these bada$$ Konigs for free. if i make more, then i profitted from this transaction.
I want to use the tires i have now so ill have room to lower.

I wasn't even looking for wheels, i had planned on powder coating the ones i have but when this happens who can pass up.

Just saying, dig, know your wheel size, bolt pattern, offset, all that madness, and you never know when you'll come across something,
good luck

Joelzy 12-11-2006 01:21 PM

Check it out guys, here is my car with the rims i just bought on it. i love em, i had the tires from my old wheels put on due to sizes and i want to be able to lower it so they are my best bet. let me know what you think

[IMG]local://upfiles/806/10625B3FC9A445D2B20EE2A4E7E0DDD8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/806/E00221B661FF440494B7593261E1F302.jpg[/IMG]

vwsleeper 12-14-2006 04:36 AM

not a bad buy. way to be thrifty!

Joelzy 12-14-2006 10:57 AM

got to right now with student loans and car payments,
i'll tell you what else im doing to be thrifty, i wanted some eyelids, like the kamei style, but without the notch for the blinker, and the ones without the notch dont come down far enough, so... im making my own out of bondo.
i thought of it late one night and figured if it didnt work i'd only be out 10 bucks and i already have the primer and paint from some of my other ventures,
so what the hay, why not... Its actually turning out great thus far, got the shaped of the headlight perfect just needs some more sanding and then color. ill post more when i finish but i thought it was kind of cool, just an easy way to save some money and pass some time not to mention you can shape them any way you want.

Joelzy 01-03-2007 12:40 PM

k scrap that,
it was workin but the pieces warped in the process, then i was slowly bending them back to shape and one snapped, but ohwell, just a venture, so i found some cheap ones with the notches and im just gonna fill them in and perhaps extend the width of them, still come out under 25 bucks for the whole thing