Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Mono Class D amps for subs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Default Mono Class D amps for subs?

I've been doing some research on subwoofers. I have read that mono amps are more power sufficent then normal 2 channel amps. Two cars ago I used a 2 channel bridgeable 300 w Precision Profile to run two 12 Kicker Subs, then sold those for 2 10 inch Toby Ranger box subs. They sounded great but I ended up with dead batteries and had to replace a couple of times.

I'd like to get a small box in the trunk of my 07 Jetta and get 2 10 subs in it and have my old amp but would it be much more worth it to just get a new mono amp for them? If I have a regular 4 channel amp to go with it would it be easier on my battery?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM

mono amps are 10 times better for a single sub setup.. if u are running 2 subs you can do mono but it has to be wired right or it will sound like shizzzzz... i would highly recommend u using a 2 channel with 2 subs.. as far as using 2 amps i would recommend either a cap or a better (stronger) battery

Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Default hope this helps

i would defiantly recommend using a mono if you are only going to run 1 sub. if you are going with 2 subs go with the 2 channel and bridge it. Remember that you can't really hear the Bass, you feel it and it does not matter left or right so bridging a sub is a good thing, bridging an amp that is powering mids or highs is stupid. Also keep in mind that anytime you are messing with sound, phase is a big issue. make sure your speaker wires are the same length. if 1 is shorter than the other (meaning the positive wire shorter or longer than the negative wire, and the left channel wires shorter or longer than the right channel) you may end up with a bad sounding system since the audio will be arriving at each speaker at a different time putting the system out of phase. minor length differences are not bad but if you get it off enough you could actually end up canceling the signal.