Starter for Routan 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Default Starter for Routan 2009

Can anyone tell me where the starter is located on a 2009 Routan???
I was told that in a 2009 caravan it was located near the oil filter.
I can see my oil filter easy enough, but i really cant see where the starter is.
Do i have to get under the car or can i change it from the top if i pull the radiator fan out.

Heres the long story

Having trouble starting my van.
Routan 2009 100 000 k.
Its like there's a pause when i start the car. I turn the key and the van trys to start then pauses and then starts again. The pause is about half a second.
Most of the time it starts normally, but once in a while it just wont start. Sometimes all i get is a click and nothing else. Sometimes it will try to start but sounds exactly as a low battery and just stops and battery light in the dash turns on.
Changed the battery less then a year ago, had it tested yesterday after it wouldn't start again and its at 99% and fully charged.
It will start just fine first thing in the morning when its cold.

So I'm guessing my problem is the starter. Wife went to the garage last week with it to put the winter tires on and get an oil change. She asked the guy if he could check the starter but he dident have enough time.
But when he pulled it out off the shop he noticed the pause during the star-up. So she booked an appointment but its not for another 2 weeks.
All the garages are booked solid because winter is coming.

So i was thinking of changing it myself. I'm not a mechanic but a changing a starter isent a big job. I changed the started on my old van without any problems.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 1189
Size:  951 Bytes

How do you know its a starter motor fault it could be wiring or something else?

It will be located near the flywheel.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Yes i want to have it tested but all the garages are booked solid. Closest appointment i could get is for the 20th and not sure if he will have enough time that day to diagnose and fix the problem.
Its gonna snow soon, everyone is booked cause of snow tires.

Well its been starting just fine for the past 2 days but yesterday on the fifth start of the day it lagged again.
Sounded just like a dead batteries, 3 low cranks and then a pause then it started right up on the fourth crank.

Maybe a bad connection to the starter?