My van needs an exorcism... Or gremlin removal.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Default My van needs an exorcism... Or gremlin removal.

I am looking for a competent VW mechanic in southern Chester County PA, that can find the ghost/gremlin in my van without bending me over. I've spent nearly $2K with two different mechanics and it still stalls (and won't start after it stalls) every time it's raining. There are other electrical issues and I just have a feeling this is some weird wiring glitch. Then again, when a car makes a "bad noise", I turn up the radio. My regular mechanic is just unfamiliar with VWs and the only local VW mechanic I found won't work on my van. I have a 95 Eurovan Camper that is either possessed or just hates me.
I am new to this forum. Please forgive my ignorance. I just want my van to get me to festivals and back home safely. I'm desperate... and now broke.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 117
Size:  951 Bytes

You need to get your motor scanned for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them.

Now your in PA in the States so AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them.

A 95 Eurovan Camper tells us sweet FA.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Welcome to the forum.

You need to get your motor scanned for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them.

Now your in PA in the States so AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them.

A 95 Eurovan Camper tells us sweet FA.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/
This is probably a dumb question, but wouldn't a 95 have an ecm that doesn't store codes like the obdii?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

It has an ecm from 1991. VCDS Compatibility Charts

Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 AM

My van doesn't have a diagnostic thingy. There's no way to get error codes.
What would cause a van to stall in the rain? It sure as sh*t isn't the distributor. One rip off artist charged me $700 to replace it (when we were dead in the water on our way home from Vibes) yet my mechanic at home said it still had the original factory distributor. Still thinking it is a distributor issue, he tried to order one. Apparently they aren't made anymore, so he replaced the thingies in the guts of it... and something else because it wasn't getting a consistent charge...? So if it's not the distributor, why would it stall?

Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure it doesn't have a DLC connector?

On dashboard plastic cover with engine symbol.
On 1999 no cover.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM

There is not a connector on the dash, under the dash, under the hood, anywhere. Apparently SOME of the 95s have a connector but not all.
What would be some causes for it to stall in the rain? I can attack them one by one in a process of elimination.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:02 AM

I hope yo have solved your problem by now. I'm not a mechanic, but an electrical engineer. It seems that something is shorting out when it rains. I suggest cleaning the engine real well, and wherever there is any electrical wire, connection, boot over a screw, to make sure that it is insulated. I'm guessing it would be in the ignition system (like the distributer), but it could also be water impinging on the coil. Good Luck.