2008 VW CC - Intake Manifold Flap Broken - $3K in Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Default 2009 VW CC - Intake Manifold Flap Broken - $3K in Repairs

Hey all, new to the forum, looking for some opinions on an issue with my 2009 CC. Have owned the car from Day 1, no significant issues of any kind until now. Currently has 83K miles.

Last week, when I started the car, I felt the engine struggling to maintain it's idle RPMs, almost as if the engine was choking. Check Engine Light is blinking. Immediately turn the car off. Wait a few minutes, turn it on again, same thing. I decide there's no way I'm driving it, so I have the car towed to the closest VW/AUDI dealer.

After dealer checks out the car, he tells me that I have extensive engine damage, including substantial cracks and leaking. Here's a summary of the estimate for repair:
  • Intake Manifold Flap broken-$973.50+tax to replace manifold and gasket
  • Throttle Body will not take adaption-$686.80+tax
  • Fuel injectors leaking-$968.00+tax-replace 4 injectors
  • Spark plugs fouled-$188.00+tax-replace 4 spark plugs

In short, a whopping $3,000 in parts, labor and tax. No extended warranty on the car, so no coverage.

I am perplexed at how such extensive damage could go unnoticed and leave me to such an end state. The Check Engine Light was not on at any point prior, I have seen no evidence of leaks in my driveway, car performance was not affected.

I believe a 5 year old car VW engineered car with 83K miles should never have such extensive damage at one time, certainly not without any indication of an issue, and I expect VW to take some responsibility in what I see as a manufacturing defect, extended warranty or not.

Curious as to everyone's opinion, or if you have been in a similar situation with inexplicable damage and how you managed it. I've also attached the invoice of the work completed with some more details.

Look forward to your feedback.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 VW CC - Intake Manifold Flap Broken - K in Repairs-vw-cc-engine-repair.jpg  

Last edited by CheffyRedux; 09-10-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Correction: 2009 VW CC