Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white smoke from intake???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Exclamation white smoke from intake???

95 jetta gl, started stumbling the other day and i have no idea why... if you ease into the gas it does okay but if you are at low rpms and try get on it it boggs down dies and blows white smoke from the intake... any ideas?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM

also giving flash codes- 2324, and 2113. first one is mass air flow sensor= check for breaks or shorts in b+ and ground. also check for air leak. 2nd is Hall sender - No speed signal from distributor; check Hall sensor and circuits or the
Air-flow sensor plate is not moving freely; adjust potentiometer or lever.

ahhhhh!!!!! what is a potentiometer?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

You sir need to replace your intake gaskets. While your up, check for a vacuum leak.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM

so is that it? ;( lol. ill give that a shot. i dont know you but im extremely greatful to have run across this forum.... thanx a millie for all your help and i will let you know how that turns out...

Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 AM

i checked my plug gap and they were at .038... i regapped them to .028 and it ran completely perfect for like 3 hours and when i re started it the next day it was acting up again... not as bad as it was when it first started... i checked my dist. cap and rotor button and they seem okay exept for the fact that the center nipple on the cap is broken. its not all the way thru the cap, just the plastic around the edge. im not sure if this could cause the car to start running like crap out of the blue or not but i couldnt imagine this being a good thing. let me replace the intake manifold gaskets and get back to you 2morrow night. fingers crossed......

Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

You do need to replace the distributor cap.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:58 PM

okay i checked for vac leaks and i just replaced my intake gaskets... its still acting up so im going to start by replacing the dist cap and rotor button... for future refference, if this doesnt work, then what?

Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

May be bad plug wires or something in the fuel system.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 PM

ive replaced the fuel filter, but the plug wires im not sure about because they have been removed a few times and re used... i know the dist cap is bad. the egr valve is bad too but i unhooked the vac line to it and plugged it off and the car ran great for over a month. i was just driving down the road one day and out of nowhere it just started. my uncle said that the only time he has ever heard of smoke or anything coming out of the intake has had something to do with timing... is there some sort of variable in the timing that relates to sensors or vaccum on jetta's?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

A lot of different sensors determine timing but most of all your distributor does. And vacuum loss can cause an incorrect air/fuel ratio so, if you replace your rotor and cap and egr valve I'd say your problem will be solved.

Quick Reply: white smoke from intake???