Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise??

Old 04-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Default Weird Noise??

I have a 99 2.0 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. On occasion when i start my car i hear this weird noise. i dont hear it until i push on the accelorator. and i only hear it for a couple of miles. if the car is still warm when i start it again i usully dont hear it anymore. it sounds like a metal rubing noise. NOT A GRINDING. Any ideas on what the problem could be???

Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Weird Noise??

Have you checked your oil? What shape is it in? I have a starter noise, sometimes when I start the car there's a 3-4 second noise and then it stops, but not when hitting the gas.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 PM

i got a 2001 jetta wolfsburg thats making the same sound and i still cant figure out what it is. but mine is almost evertime the car starts moving it will do it and its annoying as hell. i need some help wit this too

Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Yea, I just bought a 2001 Wolfburg on Tuesday and last night mine started doing this same thing. I brought my Dad out to look at it and it stopped doing it when I turned around in my neighbors driveway. Then on the way to work this morning it started to do this again. I then took it out at lunch and the thing is still doing it...it comes and goes. Any help would be nice on this one.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM

My car does almost the same thing when the oilchange is coming up, it sounds like knocking in the engine. i just let it warm up foir a couple mins before driving it and it slows down until it stops. but it only does it when myoil change is near, like 500mi to or something.

hope that helps

Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM

I hope this helps ...I used to work at a VW dealer & now own a 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, the best part is that I still have access to all this info.

**Condition**
Customer States Humming Sound From Front of Vehicle During Cornering
Customer may state humming sound coming from front of vehicle on turns in vehicles equipped with 02J or 0A4 manual 5 speed transmission . The hum may be more noticeable during slow speed turning maneuvers with steering wheel almost to full travel. The hum diminishes with steering wheel straight.
34 06 02 Jun. 12, 2006 2011899 Supersedes TB Group 34 number 06-01 dated June 5, 2006 due to updated Golf vehicle identification number structure[/align]
Technical Background
Hum may be generated by the differential spider gear contacting the one piece thrust washer when under load.[/align]
Production solution
New transmission oil Part No. G 055 726 A2 incorporated in transmission production plant. Transmissions with new oil installed begin with VINs in table below:

New Jetta[/align]

New Beetle[/align]

New Beetle Convertible[/align]

Golf[/align]

1K_6M648610[/align]

1C_6M401205[/align]

1Y_6M301516[/align]

1J_54039580[/align]
[/align]
Service
0A4 Manual 5 Speed Transmission, Draining and Re-filling

If the vehicle exhibits this condition, drain and re-fill transmission as follows:

•
It is no longer possible to accurately check transmission oil level in the same manner as previous model years.[/align]

•
The engine/transmission angle has changed and therefore the lower edge of the oil fill hole -1- is located below the new oil level -2-.[/align]To properly check oil level, transmission must be drained completely and re-filled.

Tip:
The transmission housing must be cleaned and dried before servicing.
Shift fork pins must be removed in order to drain transmission.
Selector shaft, securing

•
Remove air cleaner housing.

•
Remove sound insulation.

•
Clean and dry transmission.

•
Secure selector shaft so that the position of shift fork pins can not move:

•
Press selector shaft down arrow -1-

•
While selector shaft is held in down position, turn bracket -A- upward (clockwise) in direction of arrow -2- and press inward until the bracket latches in selector shaft.[/align]

Tip:
Use a clean 3.0L container with graduated markings to catch draining oil.
Transmission, draining

•
Remove transmission drain plug -1- and bearing pin -2-, allow transmission to totally drain.

•
Install bearing pin -2- using new grommet.

•
Install drain plug -1-.[/align]

•
Turn bracket -A- back to original position so the selector shaft -1- can move freely.[/align]Transmission, filling:

•
ADD new transmission oil Part No. G 055 726 A2 to oil already in catch container until total volume is 1.9L (2 qt.).[/align]

[IMG]https://www.accessaudi.com/elsawebjct/elsaweb/ctr/TPLdisplayContent/move/i