Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Floor Board

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Default Water in Floor Board

I have a 97 Jetta, TDI. It has recently started to get water in the drivers side rear floor board when it rains. I can not find where it is coming from.

Anybody help?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Does it pool up or does the carpet just get wet?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 PM

The water pooled the first time I noticed, after several days of rain.
Since then, the carpet was just wet

Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

The only thing I can suggest and take it to an automatic car wash and jump in the back seat.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

If you want a response to a PM you have to except emails in the options. The door drains wouldn't be doing it. The only places I can think of is the door weatherstripping or a trunk leak that makes it under the seat and to the floor somehow.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Default Water in floorboard

I had the same problem in my 1989 Jetta GL. VW dealer replaced the weatherstripping around the rear driver's side window and the
problem was solved immediately. There has been no further leaking.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Default 2009 VW Jetta TDI Water Leak

Hello - I have been getting water primarily in my drivers side backseat floorboard and occasionally in the drivers side floor. The water is not pooling on top of my monster mats at all which leads me to think that its coming from underneath the carpet. I took it to VW and spent $350 to have them fix the sunroom drains as they could clearly see water was pooring out from the drivers side rear drain. The problem appeared to be fixed and the carpet was dry as a bone in the next few days. However, a week later after a cold night when condensation formed on top of the car, I noticed the rear mat was wet again. I took it back to VW and they took up the carpet and could sleep some stream of water coming from towards the front of the car....possibly the firewall, under dash, etc. They told me they would have to take everythign apart, dash, seats out, rip up all the carpet, etc to figure it out and i'd be looking at hours of labor . Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Please help.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 AM

I fought this in my 98 TDI for 2 or 3 years. What I discovered was the water in the front floor board was caused by a clogged AC drain line. I tried to clear myself, never could. VW Dealer did for and 1 hour labor charge. They said they had developed a special tool to do this.

Water in the rear was caused by water getting into the trunk.

Hope this helps

Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 PM

This is an old post, but thought I'd add that I had the same problem on my Cabrio. Before touching windows seals, I found out about the drains at the bottom of the rocker panels under the door - 1 inch long slits near bumps (same level as jack support but under door). Poked them with a clothes hanger and about half a gallon of water ran out. The key sign was that it was happening only on one side of the floor. Seems the rust-proofing I had sprayed inside the frame had clogged it up. Hope this helps others.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Each of our products is completely toxin-free, and has no heavy metals or volatile organic chemicals. The biodegradable solutions we use can be absorbed without causing harm to the water, soil, or atmosphere. Our green maid service includes all the basics and more. Carpets are vacuumed, windows and glass doors are cleaned, and even the walls are wiped down for dust. After our green home cleaning, your rooms will look spic-and-span.

Quick Reply: Water in Floor Board