Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update:

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default Update:

I recently posted a problem with my Jetta VR6 that had me stumped. Even though no one replied I still continued on in hopes to fix the problem. I got some fuel system treatment, MAF sensor spray, and replaced my air intake with the stock one. Engine codes are still reading 1 & 6 cylinder misfires, the idle is fine, and it doesn't seem like it's missing. The car doesn't run rough until I open it up all the way driving down the road. If I only use 1/4, or maybe half the throttle it's fine, but as soon as I go to open it up, it runs kinda rough, and the check engine like blinks. I replaced spark plugs already thinking that maybe water got in there, I'm leaning towards O2 sensor or plugged cat. Can someone please offer more options, or a complete fix to the problem, I have a road trip for work I have to take....thanx in advance.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Jsd
Default RE: Update:

Well you can check you O2 sensor, see if it has a white color to it, could be running lean. But since it's only 1 and 6....hmmm, replaced the spark plugs, did you replace the wires as well? If you do the plugs, good idea to do the wires with it.

If all else fails...perhaps you may have 2 bad injectors. I dunno try the wires first.

-Jeff

Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I di plugs, wires, coil pack, and did a full fuel system cleaning and everything. Coming home from Salt Lake City last nite, I got out of the car and noticed a bright red glow from under the car. I looked underneath and the cat was glowing red, like coals from a fire pit. I'm thinking the cats plugged, so I've gotta replace it I guess. Thanx for the reply Jeff.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Jsd

You were glowing??? Holy crap, need to try pretty hard for that. I guess depending on the mileage it isn't sucha a bad idea to replace the cat anyways.

-Jeff

Old 07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'm serious there was no mistake , it was glowing!!! Almost 110,000 miles, I think I kinda screwed myself when I put the exhaust on. I got rid of the pipe starting from after the cat, replaced all that pipe and threw the maganflow muffler on. I welded everything up all nice, not thinking I should've gotten high flow cats when I had the chance. OH well, I'll do it this time around

Old 07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Jsd

Bah, always get the high flow!!! ;-) The only thing i've seen glow in person is the exhaust manifolds on my buddies 2000 Grand Prix GT Turbo. But that's beatin the crap out of a 500hp V6 lol

-Jeff