Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk and Plate Light Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Default Trunk and Plate Light Power

My 2000 Jetta doesn't seem to be getting any power to the trunk lid. The license plate lights, the third brake light on the spoiler and the power trunk unlock don't work. I took it to a mechanic that isn't that familiar with the electrical of that model and he tested the box on the trunk and there was no power to it. There is power to the other brake lights however. When we push the trunk release we hear sound from the front of the car, suggesting some where along the line the power isn't going to the trunk lid. We tested all the breakers and they are fine as well as put direct power to the third brake light on the spoiler as well as the plate lights and all lights work fine, just no power. Its not the box on the trunk lid because none of the power cables on the lid are getting power. I see the cable that runs from the front of the car to the left side of the trunk lid but am not sure if there is something wrong with that or if it is something else along the way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sarah

Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trunk and Plate Light Power

There is a connection station on the driver's side behind a panel in the trunk. There are two connectors there, the black one controls the license plate light and the brown one is for the trunk unlock motor. See if you are getting power from the front there or they may have somehow been disconnected.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trunk and Plate Light Power

Actually it might be in the panel on the c-pillar (the panel from the rear deck to the roof).