Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive oil leak in 95 Jetta III??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Default Massive oil leak in 95 Jetta III??

First off, I have to say: I know barely anything about cars, but I need to get my jetta fixed asap and need some help identifying what the problem could be.

It started to leak oil very rapidly, so I took it into an oil change place because it looked like the leak might have been from the oil filter, so I thought maybe changing it could help. I got there and they said they couldn't even give me an oil change because the leak was so bad, but that maybe it was my rear main seal.

I can't see where the leak is, but it leaks about a drop every few seconds and ONLY when the engine is running and the rpm's are up a bit. If I turn it off, the leak stops after a few seconds.

So, I called a few mechanics to find out what it could cost to get my rear main seal replaced, and I am being quoted anywhere from 600-1000 dollars! I am just hoping that it sounds like it might not be that, and that the oil change employees were incorrect. I just don't have that kind of money right now!

TLDR; 95 jetta leaks a lot of oil, but only when driving and RPM's higher than idle speed, but not when shut off, and no visible location for the leak.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 89
Size:  951 Bytes

Yes the crankshaft rear oil seals do leak. It will depend on what technical proficiency and tools you have.

Rear main oil seal replacement, for mk4 VW Jetta, Golf, or New Beetle TDI

Rear main oil seal (engine speed sensor) replacement on a mk5 VW Jetta TDI (also applies to Audi TDI) This is a later Jetta but the principle will be the same.