Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Hang - Rev Hang New VW Cars 2.0T engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Default RPM Hang - Rev Hang New VW Cars 2.0T engines

From what I am told, this is an issue with the new Jettas CCs and i'm not sure about the GTI. As far as I know it only happens on the manual transmission cars.

I just bought a new 2013 VW CC that has a 2.0T engine and a manual transmission. When I accelerate quickly and the RPMs are high, it becomes impossible to shift to the next gear without wearing out the clutch. This is because the RPMs hang atthe high RPM even after I have released the gas pedal and pushed in the clutch.

I am being told that this happens on all of the new Volkswagen cars that have this engine. I have also noticed that if you are in any gear and you are giving it gas, after you let go of the gas the car continues to accelerate for a few seconds. This almost made me hit the car in front ofme in bumper to bumper traffic.

Another concern of mine is driving this car in the snow. My driveway is a hill and thereis a turn at the top where it meets with the street. In order for me to get of the driveway, I sometimes need to spin the tires to get out. Because the engine will hang after I let go of the gas, the tires will continue to spin and I will not have traction to make the turn. I will probably end up hitting a tree that is in my yard. Obviously this is not just an issue with my driveway, it could happen to anyone that is driving one ofthese cars in the snow.

I don’t think I’m asking for a lot, I just want the engine to slow down after I have removed my foot from the gas.

My question is:

Does anyone here own one of these cars and have you also seen this issue? I have posted some video of the RPM hang between gears. www.youtube.com/user/gear323

There is also a petition that can be signed if you also have this issue:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-volkswagen-rev-hang-rpm-hang/

Thoughts?

Last edited by gear323; 04-21-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos
Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 1416
Size:  951 Bytes

It shouldn't act like that, I assume its under warranty take it back and get it fixed.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 04-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Thanks Keith,

Did you see the videos? Here is the crazy part. It has been in for service 3 times now. The first time there was about 400 miles on the car. Every time I bring it in they say no problem was found.

When the weather is cold it does not happen. During the first 10-15 min of driving it does not happen. It only happens after the car warms up so it is like false advertisement. It does not happen when you test drive a car for a few miles but then when you leave the lot when you buy it you are screwed. Even the salesman that sold me the car said that he would not be able to drive the car as his own car because of this.

I went back and drove other brand new CCs and Jetta GLIs and they have the same issue that is in my video ONLY AFTER THEY WARM UP. It looks like all VW 2013 cars with the 2.0T manual transmission do it. I have to wait to shift in each gear or I have to burn the clutch. VW lost me as a customer and this is my third VW in a row.

I'm not sure what the policy is about posting links to other VW forms sites but there are people on the other sites complaining about the same issue. Some of them "chipped" their car and it is "a little better" and others have changed their clutch and flywheel in order to make it a better along with the chip.

I should not have to spend more money to mod the car in order to get my car to drive like it should! VW should fix it.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I've just watched your video but its hard to make out whats happening you make no comment. Are you accelerating in first gear then the engine dies on its own or are you releasing the accelerator pedal?

If the dealer can't find anything wrong then you should take it back when it does this then they will realise whats happening. You need to get it fixed or contact VW customer services and complain.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM

There are seven videos. www.youtube.com/user/gear323 Two of them are of the 2006 Jetta that drives just fine. The other four are showing the 2013 VW CC that has the issue.

This issue is that when letting go of the gas, there is a delay so the engine keeps reving after the gas pedal is released. The videos only show the issue when pushing in the clutch. This issue also happens when you stay in a gear and just let off of the gas.

It seems to happen on all VW 2.0T cars that are made for sale in the USA and have a manual transmission.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Your second video explains and shows it better.

I wonder why it only happens on VW 2.0T cars made for the US. I see you've made threads on other VW forums and there is only one that says its gov mandated for emissions which it probably why it only happens on US cars.

I've just done a search on another TDI forum I use but nothing shows, its because the emissions are more stricter on gas models.

VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com

There is also a similar thread from a 2011 GTI driver from Canada, they are telling him to get it chipped and it will disappear. You shouldn't have to chip it at your expense to remove this problem and void your warranty.

rev hang??? - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

If VW say this is normal for US models because on emissions its going to be difficult to get them to fix it, good luck with VW customer services.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Hi again Keith. I still have the car in my garage. Been driving my 06 jetta. I decided to get it chipped. I found a place that says they can fix it for 500 bucks. They are going to do a stage one performance update also.

I needed to ship my ECU out to them so I took it out yesterday. VW has security screws holding it in so I needed to buy a dremel tool so I could cut slots in the heads of the screws and then use a flat head screwdriver to remove them.

I'll post new videos once I get the ecu back and install it.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 AM
Default fixe

Just wanted to let you all know that I got my ecu back and they did remove the Rev hang. The car drives great now. I also learned that there are two versions of the 2.0T engine and the low emissions model is the one that had the issue. This model is sold in at least 13 states including CA and NJ.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Angry Fixed rev hang?

Originally Posted by gear323
Just wanted to let you all know that I got my ecu back and they did remove the Rev hang. The car drives great now. I also learned that there are two versions of the 2.0T engine and the low emissions model is the one that had the issue. This model is sold in at least 13 states including CA and NJ.
Gear 323,
I have the same really annoying rev hang on my stock 2012 GLI manual. I know it's not an overly heavy flywheel like some think, it pure electronics.
I want it fixed or I'm dumping the car, though I like most all else about it.
So tell me, where did you get your ECU tuned that eliminated the horrid rev hang problem. How much did it cost, too, BTW?
Finally, did it give you any significant torque/HP boost such as the APR stage 1 tune does?
It's comes off of extended warranty next month and I'm ready to start tuning it.
Thanks,
Steven

Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Default Www.c2motorsports.com

Www.c2motorsports.com. 500 bucks. Notcablly faster and overall better.

Originally Posted by Steven Silz-Carson
Gear 323,
I have the same really annoying rev hang on my stock 2012 GLI manual. I know it's not an overly heavy flywheel like some think, it pure electronics.
I want it fixed or I'm dumping the car, though I like most all else about it.
So tell me, where did you get your ECU tuned that eliminated the horrid rev hang problem. How much did it cost, too, BTW?
Finally, did it give you any significant torque/HP boost such as the APR stage 1 tune does?
It's comes off of extended warranty next month and I'm ready to start tuning it.
Thanks,
Steven