Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Antenna wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Default Radio Antenna wire

Hi all,

I just purchased a used 1998 Jetta. It was a steal of a deal. The car is in great shape and runs like a top and looks like a million.

Problem: The PO put in a new CD stereo which works well, except that there's no antenna wire anywhere in the dash! Who would take out an antenna wire when you can just stuff it into the dash if you didn't want it?

Question is, in order to try to locate the wire (if it still exists anywhere) I believe I may have to remove the headliner or at least some interior trim.

Anyone have any idea where this cable is normally routed? Left side/Ride side of sunroof? Down the left side/right side trim? I just don't know the first place to start looking.

I've already searched this and other sites, with no luck. Everyone speaks of the antenna, but not the cable.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Wow! 39 views and not a single stab at an answer. Who wooda thunk?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 PM

Is your jetta like a GL model or GLS?? Because the GL had the antenna in the drivers side fender and the other is mounted on the roof. But you have to try and get under the dash and look for thick cable, which is normally the antenna cable.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the shout-back Elrocco. My Jetta is a Wolfsberg model, I guess like the GLS. Antenna is mounted on the roof at the rear. I've gone over the dash, in the dash, and under the dash for 3 days trying to find this stinking cable. I even lifted the kick panels on each side to see if the antenna wire ran through one of those to get to the dash - no luck.

I guess I just have to accept the fact that the PO actually removed it completely. Why, I can't figure.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:32 AM

That just makes me laugh. lol Why would someone take out the radio antenna cable. Your probably going to have to put a new one in. Have you tried removing the headliner, just to check??

Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 PM

No. I'm trying to do everything - anything - before taking down the headliner. the car has a sunroof/moonroof, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get it back in shape.

I'm like you - I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would actually remove an antenna cable. Shoot, you could just coil it up and stuff in the dash easily enough.

I'm going to Best Buy soonest. I'll let them fish it through.