Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help! problems with jetta on hwy... sputters, loses power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Default please help! problems with jetta on hwy... sputters, loses power?

Hey everyone. Im new around here, so I hope you guys can help me out. I am a new jetta owner (but not new vw owner) and unfortunately after owning my '95 Jetta GL for only a month, Im already experiencing problems. 136,00 miles. 5sp manual.

I bought this car used about a month ago. It seemed to be fine on the hwy for two hours back to school after I bought it, but now it sporadically will sputter when I am on the hwy and lose about 5-10 mph until the gas pedal regains its function and allows me to accelerate again. It only does it when Im on the hwy or interstate and happens more often the faster I drive.
I can't figure out why it's doing this. I thought maybe changing the fuel filter would help, but that hasnt, unfortunately.
The only thing that I can think of (and im not too VW intelligent, so this could be way off) is that it seems to only do it after I fill the gas tank and it has more than a half of a tank in it. Once the tank has ran through about half way, it usually will run fine on the hwy and interstate. I can't figure out if maybe it has something to do with that? Or if that is coincidence.
If you guys can give me ANY ideas, I would really appreciate. It seems this one has got a lot of people stumped.
Thanks.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Default RE: please help! problems with jetta on hwy... sputters, loses power?

ORIGINAL: jennasjetta
The only thing that I can think of (and im not too VW intelligent, so this could be way off) is that it seems to only do it after I fill the gas tank and it has more than a half of a tank in it. Once the tank has ran through about half way, it usually will run fine on the hwy and interstate. I can't figure out if maybe it has something to do with that?
This is strange to say the least. I would write down how it acts/performs below a half tank and run the fire out of it and see if all is good. Run it down till about out and see if you have any problems at all. Note anything strange at all at this point.

Next fill it up and see how it runs between fill up and half way. Get the best gas you can for the trial. If you have any problems between full and half full then possibly you have water in the tank or some crud. Whatever the case, if you have problems full and not after half full, take off the tank, clean it out real good, check the filteron the fuel pump, check connections on the fuel pump as well, and try it again. Normally you have problems of this sort when the tank is less than half full but strange things happen sometimes.
Maybe this will help.

Good Luck! [sm=sigh.gif]

Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM

I would change the fuel filter. About $23, and located under rear passenger seat area, under the car. Cheap option to try.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:51 PM

umm yea he def stated in the post he did that already nice going! reading owns you!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM

try to check the innercooler if it is a turbo. if it has oil in it you have a problem. I have a 2002 jetta and it was doin the same thing you are talking about,and i thought it was the filter to,but i started checking around and found oil in the innercooler. which means turbo problems.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:40 AM

I've had a similar problem with a '95 Cadillac SLS I owned a while back. Driving would be normal with sporatic losses of power. I also changed the fuel filter and it seemed fine for a while. Finally it gave out completely on the interstate. Turned out it was the fuel punp. $200 3 hours and all my clothes soaked in gas I had it swapped out. No more problems after that. 15,000 miles later I traded it for my 2000 Jetta.Don't miss it.
[/align]