Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0422 Code - Evap Leak [97 Jetta] - Post Pics? Please

Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Default P0422 Code - Evap Leak [97 Jetta] - Post Pics? Or edit these? Please

Could someone post pictures on what might need to be replaced?

Specifically hoses or areas under the hood or under the car that should be checked out (besides gas cap).

Its for a 1997 VW Jetta.

Thanks.

Edit:

I have also these if you don't mind editing them to show me:

One hose was replaced in this picture by a mechanic. If I could I would edit the pictures to show which one, but I don't have a program to do so.

This one shows what I'm assuming are the fuel lines and the cables that lead to the two O2 sensors.

Last edited by Timetogetill7; 03-29-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Default More Pictures

I've done some more research over the past few weeks, but I don't know everything EVAP leaks.

Like are they prone only to vacuum lines or can you get a leak before or after the catalytic converter?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

You just need to check the vacuum lines for leaks. Listen for a hissing sound. There is a diagram of the vacuum lines in the front of the engine bay there in one of your pictures.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by racerx002
You just need to check the vacuum lines for leaks. Listen for a hissing sound. There is a diagram of the vacuum lines in the front of the engine bay there in one of your pictures.
There's really no hissing sound. At least I haven't heard one. Car vibrates more than what it used to.

It would be nicer if some one could point out the vacuum lines on the pictures if possible. It'd be a lot easier than looking at a diagram and then trying to figure out which one is which by mere luck.

I've already taken the car to a mechanic to get a smoke test and if it were as simple as checking the vacuum lines then they probably would have found it. I just want to get a better idea and maybe fix the problem myself if they can't.

Thanks anyways.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Hey Racerx002 or anyone else,

I came across a couple of things since my last post:

1) Having looked at the diagram I was able to sort of figure out the layout of the vacuum lines, but I'm still a little lost because I can't really see the line that goes to the EVAP canister (I can't see the canister either).

My guess is I would be able to see if I were under the car?

2) The mechanic I went to reset the check engine light and told me to drive it. Well its come back....with one minor detail which I already figured out:

Check engine started blinking especially when trying to accelerate faster. I took it back home. Shut the engine off, but before shutting it off I noticed one of the plug wires was sparking. So it looks like I'm going to have replace them.

Would the car tend to idle or move more because of the EVAP leak or because of the plug wires?

3) Since I was able to find most of the vacuum hoses would it make more sense to replace all of them or try to find the leak itself?

It's 97' Jetta...almost 12 years. There were two previous owners before me (my dad and my older brother). I have no clue what they've changed except maybe the power windows.

4) Here's a picture with what I think are the vacuum hoses (direct me if I am wrong):

Most of the pictures are on photobucket...Edited them there.

I see about 5 hoses I think, but are there more? How many in total?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

The canister is in the left rear wheel well i think. I wouldn't worry about replacing all the lines. If you can't find a leak you probably have a bad evap purge valve. And yes, a vacuum leak can cause erratic rpms and rough idle.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM

The canister is in the left rear wheel well i think. I wouldn't worry about replacing all the lines. If you can't find a leak you probably have a bad evap purge valve. And yes, a vacuum leak can cause erratic rpms and rough idle.
I put some left over epoxy that I had on the spark plug wire that was sparking and another I thought might be going off yesterday. It's only a temporary solution until I get a new set of plug wires by mail.

Today I turned on the car and the check engine light magically went off, but who knows it might come back on again. It's happened before. Plus it's still idling rough. I haven't driven it around yet, but I'm pretty sure it's still going to hesitate like it did before.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM

I got the spark plug wires today by mail. Connected them (except for the one with the coil heading towards the ignition). No check engine light, but the car is still idling/moving a bit rough, the same as it was before, when I put in drive.

Otherwise it doesn't when in it's in neutral or parked. Maybe its just me, but it seems to me that it's moving more than what it should be.

Spark plugs were replaced no more than a few months ago and it was moving the same way before and after I replaced them.

I haven't driven it yet, but when I do I'll probably post a video later. I'm sure it's still going to hesitate.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas on what I can do.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

If one of your spark plug wires was arcing that spark plug at least would have to be replaced. It's probably melted.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 AM

If one of your spark plug wires was arcing that spark plug at least would have to be replaced. It's probably melted.
I took them out when I replaced the plug wires and they seemed to be in good condition, but I'll check them out again to see if I might've missed something.

I didn't change the gap on the spark plugs when I first bought them, but I assumed it would be alright (Should I have?).

Also is the PCV located near the black round structure near the throttle body?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0422 Code - Evap Leak [97 Jetta] - Post Pics? Please