Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy - Squeaky front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Default Noisy - Squeaky front end

Hey to all...

I was wondering if anyone has experienced what I am with my 2003 Jetta GLS (61K miles). The front of the car developed a very annoying squeak a few thousand miles ago and it is driving me crazy! The noise comes from the front and is worse on the driver's side. When ever I get out of the car or go over small bumps the front squeaks. I asked the dealership and they said it was a common problem and that it is the suspension bushings. I would tend to agree, last week I jacked the car up and the struts didn't make any noise and the lower bushings did. I sprayed them with some grease and it seemed to help for a few days but once it got warm the noise was back. So the question is...has anyone expierenced this and if so what did you do about it, and what did it cost? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Default RE: Noisy - Squeaky front end

Yes it is a very common problem, the cause are the front sway bar bushings...I saw many of them when I worked at a VW dealer. The usual cost was about 1 hour in labour & approx. $40.00 (Can)...Hope this was helpfull.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM

it is a very common problem. do you have any mods done to the car? if you do, and if you bought it used, clean off all the bushings and see if they are reddish in color. If they are, its a good chance that whoever owned the car before you replaced the OEM bushings with polyurethane ones, which are naturally louder than OEM, so if thats the case, you really just need to change em out, or be ready to lube em decently often with a good synthetic lube. Which bushings are they specifically?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 AM

My brother bought a Nissan 300ZX Feb-2004. Within 4 months, front brake disc were badly worn. After complaining to dealer, The franchise holder did not replaced, but scheme the disc's.It was OK only for 2 months where the problem got worse. Then they agree to replace the whole Nissan brakes disc, but after 1 month from the date of complain they only acted on it, that also due to pressure from me. In between, other problem arise, the front and the driver side had a worse squeaking sound, first they suspected absorber. They only change the absorber after 1 month of complaining. The noise got even worse. Then, they told us it was all the front bushing and it is not covered by warranty... Got the bushing replaced for a few bucks and it the squeaking noise was gone... I really hate my dealer... Anyway, try replacing your front bushing... Hope it help... Good luck!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM

Hey Boomer thanks for the info. This past weekend I actually changed the front brakes and did replace the sway bar bushings (very easy repair with a 13mm socket and 3" extension). The new bushingscost me $22 from the VW dealer.

While driving to work it was sonice to not have to listen to any more squeaks. The noise was actually making me hate the car. Thank god for easy cheap car problems!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM

its true, gotta love cheap!