Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key not in range

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Default 2014 GLI Key not in range

2014 Jetta GLI Autobahn, not a push button start. Decided to use the extra key after owning the car for 2 years. When I put the key in the ignition it said key out of range and the car would start for about a second and shut off. I replaced the fob battery with no help. All buttons on the fob are operational. I can start the car with the working key, then shut it off and insert the non working key and the car will start but still get the key not in range message, and can drive away like this I just can't shut it off and have it start without the working key. Any ideas on what I can do short of taking my car and keys to the dealer and fork over 120 dollars to get everything reprogrammed?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Obviously I can't see your car and do a VCDS scan on it. I know if you don't use the spare key for along time it looses its settings. I would take it to a dealer for checking?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM

Yeah I called them today with the response 120 to look at and if we need to program the keys it will be an additional 120. So you can see why I don't want to do this and I am looking for an alternate solution.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 AM

So here is an update. I went to the dealer this morning and was told that the chip in the key failed and I would need to get a new key.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

New keys aren't cheap around £200 plus programming.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Yeah my dealer quoted 245 us dollars plus tax for the key and programming. I did however find a key from a new wrecked Jetta the guy sold me for 25 dollars. I removed my key blade and replaced it to the new fob. I will call around this week to see if I can get it programmed cheaper away from the dealership. If not I will pay the 120 to get it done.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Even if you get a cheap key from somewhere else you can't just swap the blade there is a reader coil in the remote key that that's used for the immobilizer that needs programming by a dealer.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 AM

Yes I have taken my old key apart. The RFID chip is on the main motherboard. As I have stated in the previous it is from a wrecked Jetta and the model and FCC numbers match to mine. I will try to get it programed for the immobilizer at an automotive locksmith and if they can't do it I will have it programed at the dealer. The blade is replaced by removing the roll pin securing it sliding the bad out and inserting my blade then replacing the roll pin. No electronics in the blade.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:17 AM

Tearing the fob and check the parts one by one isn't the right way to fix the problem. I have faced this issue many times, an urban automotive locksmith always helped me in resolving this fob issue.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:41 AM

It's a good decision that you go for an extra key to make so that you can use it in the future. You can call any automotive locksmith for help making you spare for the original one.

Quick Reply: Key not in range