Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in buying a VW Jetta SportWagen. Few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Default Interested in buying a VW Jetta SportWagen. Few questions...

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum to ask few questions for my prospective car. Once the purchase is completed, I'll be around more often to contribute

We'll be taking advantage of the cash for clunkers program for this purchase. I have a MINI Cooper S, so the Jetta will be my wife's daily driver and toddler mobile. She likes the SportWagen lot more than the Sedan.

Here are some of my questions for the VW guru:

1. We are inclined to get the gasoline version of the SportWagen, but wife wonders if it makes sense to purchase the TDI. Even though the mpg is better, the upfront cost of the TDI is higher as well. What is your opinion on this?

2. I've read number of reviews of the car, and it seems spacious enough to accommodate 2 adults + a toddler (carseat in the middle of the backseat) and the associated gear for trips, etc. Is it easy to get a kid in and out of the back seat?

3. What is the room for negotiations on the sticker price? I assume it would be more difficult to lower the price of a TDI, since there seems to be more demand for it with the higher mpg rating.

4. This is for the members who live in Southern California: Which dealer would you recommend for the transaction. We are in Long Beach area, and Timmons in Long Beach and Commonwealth in Santa Ana are the two that I've considered.

That's about it for now, and thanks for any help in advance!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Default Interested in buying a VW Jetta SportWagen Few questions

I need some transmision work done on a automatic transmission for a 99 jetta. Any recommendations on where to get it done at?. thx in advance for any info.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM

1) Completly depends on how many miles you drive/how much fuel costs. If you're driving a ton of miles / year, the initial cost is going to be "repaid" much faster.

2) Yes, good size back seat. LATCH setup is very easy to use. If you need adult back seat space, a passat might be a better choice.

3) VWs have a few HUNDRED dollars in their price vs invoice. Don't expect a huge discount. The "deal" might be in the financing. Don't expect to pay less than MSPR for a TDI Wag, but it is possible.

4) VW Santa Monica is the highest volume dealer in the state and i've had several cars from them. best in SoCal in my book.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 AM

Thanks very much for your reply. Very informative!

I actually stopped by Santa Monica VW to look at some of the Vagons they had. I might buy one from them...

Do you have any idea when the 2010 models with a newly designed exterior/interior will be available at the dealers? I am trying to decide whether to buy one now or wait a month or two to get the "newer" ones.

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM

The new body style (6th generation / "mk6" ) GTI will be out sometime late summer, September probably. The Golf will follow, and the Jetta a bit further down the road. I don't have a more specific timeline, unfortunately.