Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

... Ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Default ... Ignition switch?

2000 Jetta GLS 2.0
I went to go start my car this evening... When I turned the key, the car wouldn't turn over or "click" or anything. The dash lights, radio, fans and everything else came on but... no engine or starter activity. I pulled the key out of the ignition but all of the electronics stayed on and I had to unhook the battery so it wouldn't drain. I'm guessing this is the ignition switch but want to be sure before I buy the parts. ...any thoughts?

Just to reiterate... the battery is fully charged and fine. So I know it has nothing to do with lacking power or energy.

Additional question: Can you pop the clutch to start a car with a broken ignition? Thanks!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:18 AM

i had the same problem, had to replace entire ignition cylinder, the shaft that turn the start switch broke off, how ever not it starts and wont stay running. did you ever fix it and did you encounter the same problew im having?

Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM

I did end up fixing it but as it was a few years ago, I'm having trouble remembering the details. I think I fixed the ignition cylinder as well. Apparently there is a nub that turns the ignition but it's made out of plastic rather than metal for some reason and breaks... especially in cold weather. I had a shop fix it for me for about $150 I think.

As for the car starting but not continuing to run. I did have this problem too. It turned out that all of the messing with the ignition had triggered the anti-theft or immobilizer device. You need to reset that somehow. One way I figured out how to do this is to put the key in the ignition and turn to accessories (while not starting the car, just so the lights, fans, radio is all on). There will be a little yellow dash light with a key lit. Just leave the key turned to accessories for like 15 minutes or until that light goes out. Eventually, the immobilizer realizes it's not being stolen and resets. This is how I solved my problem.... I'm not sure if your problem is the same and will be solved the same way, but it's worth a try.

J