Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! I can't get in or out of my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Default HELP!! I can't get in or out of my car

1997 VW GLS. Problem is that sometimes the locks open up but I am not able to get in my car.. Sometimes they work and I get in and when I reach my desitination I can't get out. Very strange... The locks lift up but they don't work.. When I get out through a window or through the back doors (they work) and come back after a few hours all the locks work then. Not sure why this is.. It is becoming a pain in the *** to climb around the car to find a door that is unlocked.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Default RE: HELP!! I can't get in or out of my car

I have a problem with my front doors also, when it gets too cold out, they freeze up. Sometimes it's just hard to turn the lock, other times I can't open the door. Sometimes, once I get the door open, it won't latch closed!! I suspect a lubrication problem, but I don't have any research/evidence to back it up.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Default RE: HELP!! I can't get in or out of my car

The best way to find out where this problem is coming from. I would remove the inner door panels and inspect the rods and mechanizms that connect to the door assembly.

First look for the inner door screws they should be located at arm rest, top of the door and possibly near the bottom usuallly only conatins 3 to 4 screws once you find all screws remove all of them, Then pull door off the little pieces that hold them are plasic clips and come undone a little nudge. Then remove the plugs into either the power windows and door lock assembly. After you removed the inner door look at the long rods that connect to the power door locks and door lock. See what the connection is like and if maybe the plastic tips need to be replaced or if more than likely the door accuator needs to be replaced. This part costs roughly 15 dollars at best buy and my bro works there and got it for 5 bucks.
good luck with solving this problem.

[8D]