Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GLS or GLX

Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default GLS or GLX

Hey can someone give me guidance on the difference in the GLX or GLS. I have 2000 Jetta VR6, full leather, power everything, I have pics on here (which is for sale by the way). Thanx in advance.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Default RE: GLS or GLX

ORIGINAL: bagel

Hey can someone give me guidance on the difference in the GLX or GLS. I have 2000 Jetta VR6, full leather, power everything, I have pics on here (which is for sale by the way). Thanx in advance.
I must not understand the question, but here goes. I presume that you have the GLX model, because the biggest difference between the GLX and the GLS is the engine... the GLX has 6 cylinders and the GLS has 4. Why anyone would need all the power of a 6 cylinder engine in a Jetta baffles me because the GLX must take off like a rocket. The GLS has plent of power, except perhaps on steep hills. If I lived in the Rockies, I'd want the bigger engine. There are other lesser differences between the GLX and the GLS. Basically the GLX is the luxury version with lots of bells and whistles that will eventually fail. I love VW engines and trannies, but they can't seem to make reliable accesories, like power windows or cruise control. Both models have cruise control; mine failed around 80K miles. The GLX has heated leather seats and heated mirrors, the GLS has cloth seats; no heated components. The GLX is for people who want a Passat, but can't afford it.

-1996 Jetta GLS 2.0L Manual 5-speed with 237,000 original miles

Old 10-06-2006, 02:27 AM

Not true. I have a 2001 GLS 1.8T with leather, heated mirrors and seats.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:13 PM

bagel has a V6 Jetta, so I'm sticking with my answer. The Jetta is an economy sedan. You have the 1.8L Turbo, which is no doubt a sporty VW model so it doesn't surprise me that you've got leather seats.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:32 PM
Default Why would anyone want a Passat.

Originally Posted by Anjou
I must not understand the question, but here goes. I presume that you have the GLX model, because the biggest difference between the GLX and the GLS is the engine... the GLX has 6 cylinders and the GLS has 4. Why anyone would need all the power of a 6 cylinder engine in a Jetta baffles me because the GLX must take off like a rocket. The GLS has plent of power, except perhaps on steep hills. If I lived in the Rockies, I'd want the bigger engine. There are other lesser differences between the GLX and the GLS. Basically the GLX is the luxury version with lots of bells and whistles that will eventually fail. I love VW engines and trannies, but they can't seem to make reliable accesories, like power windows or cruise control. Both models have cruise control; mine failed around 80K miles. The GLX has heated leather seats and heated mirrors, the GLS has cloth seats; no heated components. The GLX is for people who want a Passat, but can't afford it.

-1996 Jetta GLS 2.0L Manual 5-speed with 237,000 original miles
passat’s are so ugly and weigh more than the Jetta. The GLX Jetta is way cleaner and faster and the fact it’s cheaper than the Passat is just another plus. Why would anyone want a Passat when you can afford a faster car for less.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Default window not working

my 1996 windows none work need good diagram of fuse panel and relays anyone have Idea or which relay it is.