Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft position and Cylinder Missfire codes ... What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:23 PM

I realize this is an old post, however I am new to VW and am experiencing the same thing on a 2005 that I picked up just one month ago
Can you give a bit more direction on what "episodes" of humble-mechanic you are referring to? also is the N205 the large silver "canister" on the right front when looking at the engine from the front bumper? any additional directions or help for chasing this down would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick

Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Default sorry

I'm sorry but that bug went long enough without stalling for me to sell that piece of #$@^! I will NEVER own another VW period! #moneypit! ---- Good luck!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OVERDRAW
I realize this is an old post, however I am new to VW and am experiencing the same thing on a 2005 that I picked up just one month ago
Can you give a bit more direction on what "episodes" of humble-mechanic you are referring to? also is the N205 the large silver "canister" on the right front when looking at the engine from the front bumper? any additional directions or help for chasing this down would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Question

Originally Posted by steelart99
I have a 2007 Jetta (2.5L BCG) with 185K miles that was running fine. Shut off the engine for about 10 minutes and then restarted. Engine light came on and runs a bit rough especially at low rpm or initial acceleration. Car runs okay at higher rpm although I can detect some low level vibration. Drove for 50+ miles with usual acceleration etc. After engine cooled (and codes reset), the engine starts with minimal vibration, but when I put it into gear and move a few feet, the engine light comes back on xender discord omegle.

Detected codes P0016, P0300, P0301 - P0305. Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation, Random Misfire Detected, Cylinders 1-5 Misfire detected.

What does this combination seem to indicate if they all showed up at the same time???

What sequence of actions can I take to work through possible issues?

Thanks
I just changed the oil/oil filter; no change in error codes. It appears that i was down to under 3 liters of oil when the capacity is 6 liters.

I may change the cam shaft sensor too, before starting to pursue a timing chain replacement.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by steelart99
I have a 2007 Jetta (2.5L BCG) with 185K miles that was running fine.
BCG is that the engine code as ETKA doesn't list it or the transmission/gearbox code.

What does it say on the data sticker?

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

There are many Jetta's with a 2.5 engine.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2005-07/2007, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BTK, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.5 Ltr, 5 Cyls, Remarks: Argentina ("RA."), Brazil ("BR."), Chile ("RCH")
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2005-07/2007, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BGQ, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.5 Ltr, 5 Cyls, Remarks: Canada ("CDN") USA ("USA")
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2005-07/2007, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BGP, 110Kw, 150PS, 2.5 Ltr, 5 Cyls, Remarks: Canada ("CDN") USA ("USA")

Old 10-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
BCG is that the engine code as ETKA doesn't list it or the transmission/gearbox code.

What does it say on the data sticker?

There are many Jetta's with a 2.5 engine.
)
Detected codes P0016, P0300, P0301 - P0305. Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation, Random Misfire Detected, Cylinders 1-5 Misfire detected.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by paityda

VAG Error Code: 16400/4096/000022
EOBD II Error Code: P0016

Fault Location:
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)/Engine Speed Sensor (G28), Bank 1 - Incorrect Correlation

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Timing Issue.
Camshaft Adjuster.
Timing belt jumped.
Timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched.

Possible Solutions:
Check Setting of Timing Belt.
Check Timing of Intake/Exhaust Cams.
Check Cam Adjusters as per Repair Manual.
Permissible deviation < -11° CRK or Permissible deviation > 11° CRK.

Special Notes:
North American Region (NAR) specific notes:
When found in 2009 Audi A4, A5 or Q5 with 3.2 FSI AVE Engines, please see Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-09-04.
When found in 2008 and newer VW 2.0T engine with a timing chain (example; CCTA and CBFA), please see Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-12-01 or Technical Product Information (TPI) 2028302 for no-start timing chain related problems.

Cam Chain

VAG Error Code: 16684/15137/10203/4051/000768
EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
Random/Multiple Cylinder(s) - Misfire Detected/Upper Limit Exceeded/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s).
Air Intake System leaking.
Fuel Supply faulty.
Injector(s) faulty.
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty.
Ignition coil(s) faulty.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open.
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Low compression.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Misfire Recognition.
Check Air Intake System.
Check Fuel Supply.
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing.
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s).
Check Ignition Coil(s).
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18).
Check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
Check cylinder compressions.

Special Notes:
This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) fails to identify the cylinder.

Tech Notes:
The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor (G28)/Crankshaft Position Sensor (G28) signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16685/15125/10591/4054/000769

EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
Do a compression test.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0301 code means that the cylinder 1 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 1. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor (G28)/Crankshaft Position Sensor (G28) signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16689/000773

EOBD II Error Code: P0305

Fault Location:
Cylinder 5 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
Do a compression test.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0305 code means that the cylinder 5 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 5. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software