Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Jetta Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Default 98 Jetta Stalling Issue

Hello all,

I am looking for some insight into a problem I am having with my 98 Jetta GL 2.0.

The Problem:
Whenever I accelerate (rate of acceleration does not effect result) the engine just bogs down after about 3 seconds of acceleration as if the air or fuel flow is being completely cut off. If I let off briefly and reapply the car accelerates fine for another 3 seconds then repeats the symptoms. If I accelerate in short bursts it does not cut out but is not a reasonable way to drive the car. If I keep the accelerator applied after it cuts out it does not recover.

What I have done so far:
I am getting a check engine light so i took the car to my local auto parts store and plugged in their code reader. I cannot recall the exact code that was returned but the code indicated that there was a problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I swapped the MAF with one from my daily driver (96 VW Jetta, same engine, same part number) and saw no improvement, I also tested the "bad" MAF in my other Jetta and it still ran just fine.

Other info:
The vehicle was parked for about 8 months through the winter and most of the summer, it ran well when it was parked. Battery, spark plug wires, and ignition coil were replaced prior to parking it. The air filter has been freshly replaced and no debris was found in the air box.

My cry for help:
If anyone has any insight into what is going on here or next steps that i should take in troubleshooting the problem I would greatly appreciate it. I picked up a can of carb cleaner today and I intend to take apart and clean the throttle body tonight. Any help or other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-KV

Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 PM

Just a thought. Maybe a fuel pump? I had a '98 sunfire that needed a fuel pump replaced, did the same but would make me pull over and sit for a while when it got worste. It had 180,000 miles on it thought. The jetta fuel pumps are more than likely plastic or possiably recycled crayons so if you run it low on fuel all the time maybe. Prob not your propblem but don't discount it.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Well this car does have about 115000 on it so I can't discount that. Also I have some more information for anyone who may be trying to help out.

When I have the car in neutral and just try to rev it up it seems to rev a lot slower than my similar model, if I apply full throttle the car takes about 2 full seconds to rev up to 5000rpm where in my similar model I can hardly get the pedal all the way down before I have to release. Perhaps this will help to indicate what my issue is. Thanks again for any help.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Trowing some more suspect your way...trottle body sensor (worth researching), coils, fuel pressure. Did you check for a vaccum leak?