Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Jetta Engine Screeching Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Default 2006 Jetta Engine Screeching Sound

I have a 2006 2.5 Jetta. Today I was driving at about 45 miles an hour and I heard a loud screeching sound. At first I wasn't sure it was coming rom the car, but it is coming from the engine compartment. The engine light went on.

I pulled the vehicle over in a parking lot, shut it off, and popped the hood. When I restarted it, the car started revving itself. The engine seems to be idling a little rough. The temperature stayed normal. It didn't screech while idling normally, but when I revved the engine it started to do it. It also did it when I drove.

Any hints on what it could be. It obviously probably needs to go to the dealer, but I'd love to have some ideas before I take it.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 620
Size:  951 Bytes

As you can appreciate its hard to diagnose problems on the web through just a description and no sound. The normally a screeching sound is a slipping auxiliary drive belt which will screech more with electrical load or wet weather as water splashes on the belt.

Why the MIL light came on is anyones guess you need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to do an Autoscan. You don't say where you live but AutoZone in the States will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them.

Just out of interest whats the mileage and have you ever or have a record of the timing belt being changed?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM

I am not sure how to put the car specs in my signature, but I will try to figure that out!

There are auto zones here, so I will look at borrowing the computer to check out the codes. I probably will just bring it in the dealer Monday, but it is out of warranty.

I am beginning to suspect it has something to do with the exhaust, perhaps the catalytic converter. I am hoping it is the converter because that will still be covered under warranty as it was replaced about two years ago.

The problem only occurs when the car is hot. AS I said, the dealer had to replace the converter before, and the same engine light came on then. The manual says the engine light is related to exhaust malfunctions. Originally I thought the problem was coming from the engine compartment because you can clearly hear it from there when the hood is up, but upon closer inspection I think it is coming from under the car.

I have a little less than 100 thousand miles on the vehicle, but I doubt the problem is the timing belt because performance is pretty good for about ten minutes (until the car gets hot). Once I start hearing the sound, performance still seems pretty good. When I stop the car though and put the car in park, the engine will rev by itself.

I am wondering if exhaust is somehow escaping and causing the whistle.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

To edit your signature click on User CP (Control Panel) on the left of the bar up above. On the left it says Edit Your Details click on it and type in the Location: Where you live then click Save Changes at the bottom.

The on the left you will see Edit Signature just click on it and type in your vehicle details. You can click Preview Signature just to see what it looks like then click Save Signature, job done.

AutoZone don't lend you a laptop they just plug there equipment in and run a scan.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM

2006 VW Jetta Engine Light and Coolant Light Came on?
Hi,

So my husband and I bought a 2006 VW Jetta last April, car has approximately 40,100 miles on it as of today. On Saturday, the engine light came on and today the engine coolant light came on. If we put coolant into the car, will both lights go off? They came on within 5 miles of each other; as I only drove it up to the store on Saturday when it first came on, and didn't end up driving it today because the light came on.

The car is a second car for us (I work from home, only use it to run errands) so it's not vital that it gets fixed immediately; but would be nice to know if this is all that needs to be corrected; as the dealership here wants to charge me a $100 diagnostic fee, not including actually fixing anything. My dad's a mechanic, as is my brother-in-law (both are at work right now, otherwise I would ask one of them,) and if it's something they can do or if it's something I can do here at home, I'd obviously prefer to do so.

Thanks!