Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Jetta, 2.0lts, does not run, there is fuel pressuere and spark, no fuel deliver.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Default 2004 Jetta, 2.0lts, does not run, there is fuel pressuere and spark, no fuel deliver.

Dear friends, Need help, my 2004 Jetta with 2.0 lts engine does not run, there is crank.
Fuel pressure is 60 psi, there is spark, timing belt is OK (marks are in position), fuel in the thank. When cranking there is spark, have seen injectors pulse with test light but the injectors do not deliver fuel.
I have verified the fuel pump pressure and delivery, the camshaft and crankshaft sensors are OK, all fuses are OK.
Need help on any sugestion and/or recomendation will be appreciated.

How can I have fuel in the fuel rail, Injectors pulse but no fuel deliver while cranking?

Have a nice day!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 PM

I had flown the injectors in the bench test and are ok as well as the internal resistance is 14.6 Ohms.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by pilleway
Dear friends, Need help, my 2004 Jetta with 2.0 lts engine does not run, there is crank.
Fuel pressure is 60 psi, there is spark, timing belt is OK (marks are in position), fuel in the thank. When cranking there is spark, have seen injectors pulse with test light but the injectors do not deliver fuel.
I have verified the fuel pump pressure and delivery, the camshaft and crankshaft sensors are OK, all fuses are OK.
Need help on any sugestion and/or recomendation will be appreciated.

How can I have fuel in the fuel rail, Injectors pulse but no fuel deliver while cranking?
Originally Posted by pilleway
I had flown the injectors in the bench test and are ok as well as the internal resistance is 14.6 Ohms.
That seems a bit strange you have fuel pressure but you don't test injectors with a test light you need to remove then crank the engine you will see them spraying. You can test the signal with an LED test light. Are you sure the timing belt is connected in the right place can you see it moving when you crank?

System testing will be better if you find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS you can also scan for any error codes and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 AM

Keith thanks for your comment.
I test the signal with a test light in the wiring harness connector that goes in to the injector not in the injector, the injectors were tested in the test bench and work ok.
The codes I got says that injector 1,3 &4 are short to ground!
I had looked for a short to ground in the wiring harnes with a multimeter and have not being able to find anything bad.

If any additional information is needed please let me know.
Regards
Miguel.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Also I had crank the engine and loose the injectors and do not spray!
Timing belt seam to be correct, all marks are in place and moves when cranking.
Regards

Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well its the same for any injector short circuit to earth just a different injector number.

VAG Error Code: 16648
EOBD II Error Code: P0264

Fault Location:
Injector 2 (N31) - Circuit Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Engine Misfire.
Engine Run Rough.
Low MPG.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s) short to earth.
Injector 2 (N31).
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Signal current < 2.1 A.

Tech Notes:
Clogged or partially clogged fuel injector can cause this code. Start by performing an injector flush before replacing the injector.

Description:
Code P0264 is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a low voltage in the Fuel Injector 2 Circuit. During normal conditions the Engine Control Module (ECM) turns the Fuel Injectors ON and OFF in the Fuel Injection System.

As taken from my https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 AM

Keith, thanks.
I had followed the Diagnostic chart for code related to Injector circuit short to ground and the only concern I do have is regarding how to measure the current in to the injector? If there is not enough current then the injector will not trigger, then my question will be, isnt the ECM the one resposible to deliver the correct amount of current? if this is the case then the ECM might be the problem and I do not see it in the posible causes.
Thank again for your comments and reccomendations.
Regards
Miguel.

Possible causes, does not say "not run"!
The injectors were flown so they are not partialy clogged or clogged.
Possible solutions, does not direct to a possible faulty ECM.
MVB can not read them, engine does not run.
Where it says "Possible Cause:" shoudnt it say "possible Symptoms" and where it doesnt say anything shoudnt it say "Possible Causes!?
Regards, have a nice day.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Symptoms are shown before the Possible Cause by the gap because that would mean adding an extra field in the database as not every problem has a symptom.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Engine Misfire.
Engine Run Rough.
Low MPG

You really need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to diagnose further whether it runs or not.

You don't say where you live please add the country to your profile?

Old 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Keith thanks
I will add my country in my profile, I'm from Mexico in a town call Metepec in de State of Mexico, about 40 Mi west from Mexico City.
I will find someone with a VAG to diagnose the vehicle.
Regards
Miguel.