Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 VW Jetta Electrical Issue - Need Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Angry 2002 VW Jetta Electrical Issue - Need Assistance

Hello all. I have a time-sensitive issue here. I have until Wednesday to get my car going again, or I'll have to sell it - and I just dropped over $2k into it.

2002 Jetta 1.8t Automatic Sedan.

Basically, I am having an intermittent stalling issue. When at about idle speed, usually when I'm pulling up to a stop, or pulling out of a parking lot onto the road, my car will lose all power (no clock on dash, nothing).
There have also been a few times when my car failed to initially start.

The car runs very well (when it's not stalled) - no rough idle or anything.

About 2 weeks ago, it started acting up. It is currently in the shop, and they have been "unable to replicate the situation".

At first, it would allow me to crank it right back up after a stall and I'm on my way. However, this morning, my car died again as I was at a stop, pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy main road. This time it did not immediately want to crank back up, and took several minutes of fiddling around with the shifter before the dash lights came back on and I got it started again. I was actually able to run the shifter through all the gears without depressing the brake.

My list of events: (listing all things since they might be connected)
~ NAPA ran battery & charging system test, nothing showed up and he said the results were totally normal.
~ Clock and tripometer intermittently resetting. (0.00miles / 12:00)
~ Car wouldn't start today, clicking noise coming from dash, tachometer and speedo hands seemed to be "ticking" just up once, then back down, like a broken clock. I shifted in and out of park, car started fine.
~ No interior lights come on when I open the doors, even though I have the lights set to that setting.
~ "Door ajar" light sometimes comes on as I'm driving, must open door and slam to turn light off.
~ No buzzing sound when lights left on.
~ Trunk fails to open with fob at times, but think I need a new fob battery.
~ Have never used the alarm before, but the other day, I accidentally set it off and had to turn it off - I think that was just before all of this started happening. Unsure if it's related at all, but thought I'd mention it.

Any help would be much appreciated, and I will be checking back in often to answer any questions.

Last edited by fallon_vii; 04-13-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2015, 12:50 PM

buen dia cambiale el cuerpo de valvulas completo y ya veras cualquier duda comentame y lo checamos

Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Question

Originally Posted by remigio
buen dia cambiale el cuerpo de valvulas completo y ya veras cualquier duda comentame y lo checamos
I'm sorry, I do not speak Spanish.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM

losiento uso traductor x que yo tampoco hablo nada de ingles pero hay estamos x cualquier duda para todos buen dia y dios los bendiga

Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Right before this issue started, I had some work done to the car - specifically R&R air filter and trans flush. Could this be related at all?

Old 04-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by remigio
losiento uso traductor x que yo tampoco hablo nada de ingles pero hay estamos x cualquier duda para todos buen dia y dios los bendiga
Lo siento, incluso con Google Translate, no puedo entender.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Just got a call from the shop, they were finally able to replicate the situation and said that they ended up doing a system reset (she kept saying "system reset test") on the immobilizer with the scan tool, and that now all my lights/buzzers/etc are functioning and there has been no stalls.

Time will tell if this was the actual fix, and I will update this in a week or two and let you know if that really was it.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Haha, Nope, not fixed!
Worked fine yesterday, but this morning my clock and tripmeter were reset. It shut off on me twice on during my 15 minute ride to work. :banghead:

Old 04-15-2015, 03:32 PM

Hey now, don't everyone post at once here....

Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

All I can suggest without seeing the car is you need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Quick Reply: 2002 VW Jetta Electrical Issue - Need Assistance