Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Jetta.. Died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Default 1988 Jetta.. Died while driving

Hi. I'm new to this forum.
Not new to teh VW scene. I used to have an 1994 Jetta..... (i wrecked it.. i cried.haha)
anyhow. I was reciently given a FREE 1988 Jetta gli. 16v. (had recaro seats but the guy who informed us of his buddy with the free car decided he wanted the seats..(yeah. im pretty pist.)

NOW onto the situation at hand.

It died. while running.

Timing belt?perhaps?

He said he thought it was the computer.. I personally think hes stupid.

Perhaps a fuel pump relay, Or even the pump?

I havent yet tried to start the car, ITs been sitting for A LONG time.. so its gotta get some other things first.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? and what was diagnosed.?

any suggestions are very helpful!!!

(if you have seen this post before on another forum, I subscribed to about 3 vw forums trying to get as much infor in my brain as possible!!)

Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1988 Jetta.. Died while driving

He said he thought it was the computer.. I personally think hes stupid
DUDE!! I laughed my @#$ off for like 30 min!! I seriously had to walk away from the screen cause I laughed harder everytime I read it, it was like written so perfectly that hopefully everyone else finds humor in it.

OMG! *Wipes tears from eyes** SO, becasue it sat so long, look into getting some MAF cleaner, and then trying to clean out as much crap as you see, you're gonna have to do a really good tune-up. Possible fuel pump, but the chances, IN MY OPINION, aren't to good for it to go bad all of a sudden. How much fuel is in it? Spark plugs? Prolly a reason it's free, just do a good check man, and make sure you cover your butt on any deals you make.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 PM

c'mon man, those Germans where ahead of there time when it comes to engineering!! yeah I'd have to agree he's leaning of the side of stupidity!!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:32 AM

ok turns out. the dude.. was a MORON!! you should see the wiring job hes done for the radio..
we pulled the fuel pump. it was seized. so I have to get a new one of those .. but heres the catch. my bf. pulled off this whole housing thing, and one of the brittle plastic things broke off.. heres a picture.. the circle is what broke. the arrow points to the pump. which is junk.
the car cranks over.. but does not start.. we lubed the engine before cranking it. etc etc. there was no gas in the tank. which is good because old gas is crap.
we poured some in, and the pump didnt even go.
im pretty sure this was not the problem that made the moron park it in his garage 10 years ago though.. it has a new timing belt.. ... in the trunk...
the current one is not broken but it will be replaced.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet, I just wasn't sure if it would actually be the fuel pump or not. Def. get that timing belt replaced, after sitting so long no telling what else may need replacing. Good luck with eveything on this car, really hope everything works out.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:17 PM

unfortunatly I did not know I was going to have to sell myself in order to buy a new pump and housing...
Does anyone know of anywhere that sells volkswagen parts cheaper?

desperate here.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Ebay is about it, or depending on where you live. I get a Military discount through Checkers, Autozone, and Schucks....don't really go to other places...autozone is always cheap for me.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:29 AM

Ive decided that I will re do some wiring. hook up a after market fuel pump in line with a filter and the fuel regulator. and not use the original housing, or fuel pump...

ill make it work..

haha

screw spending 200 dollars on a stupid fuel pump