Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing marks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Default timing marks

hello all, I just joined the site after I purchased a 94 golf. car didn't do anymore than 50km/hr when i bought it, took the head off and got it machined and pressure tested (there was some white in the oil and in the throttle body area when dis assembling,also in some of the metal coolant lines).

anyways. having a little mechanical background experience (worked as one for 6 month and rebuilt a majority of my 1980 malibu)
i did the timing belt and head gasket.

now just because i have some experience doesn't mean i have the knowledge. I have access to alldata online, however the haynes manual was more benifitial to me at this stage. I just want to verify that I aligned the timing marks up.

on the cam shaft sprocket, its a no brainer with what to line it up with. however the crank shaft, I lined up the marking on the serpentine belt pully, with the ARROW on the lower black plastic timing belt cover (so basically at a 12 oclock position).

now. it says to line up the intermidiate sprocket (turns the distributor roter) with the crank shaft srocket. now how do you do this? I bascically got that stage and was confident enough that all I had as a real variable was teh rotor position. I have the car running. however being armed with a timing light, I'm unable to find anyplace to adjust the timing. it says you need special equipement but all data says u can use the good old timing light. it says to look through the flywheel inspection hole. now I see 3 holes in the tranny case, 2 of them close to the distributor, and 1 on the driver side of the head facing straight up.

now comparing to the illistration ( I hate when they give you something which isn't comparable) i see no arrow, or marking. to identify TDC in these hole. nor do any numbers flash up with the timing light (i could be out obviously)

can anyone verify that i have done the timing belt steps correct, and that I am on the right path.

I have driven this car home from my shop and comfident that i'm in the right direction as it goes a lot faster now. however its still very sluggish out of the hole. I think the cat needs to be replaced, but dont know if that would restrict the car enough to make it ract this way.[/align]