Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with new alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Default Problem with new alloy wheels

I have a 2012 Golf (just over 11,000 miles) with the standard 2.5 liter gas engine. I ordered alloy wheels (the same size as my stock 15" tires) and had them installed. I had a subtle bouncing sensation at low speed and severe vibration at highway speed. I took the car back to the shop where I bought the wheels and had them installed and they installed hub-centric rings. That seemed to improve the issue, but things still just don't feel right. The ride is noticeably rougher and there also seems to be something going on with my fuel economy (much worse) since installing the wheels. I'm ready to take them off and put the stock wheels and crappy plastic hubcaps back on. Has anyone ever had this issue including the drop in fuel economy?

I'm not a mechanic and don't have time to learn how to be one. I just wanted some nice alloy wheels without paying the crazy-*** price the dealer wanted.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 54
Size:  951 Bytes

I would think the wheel offset for the wheels you bought isn't correct for your vehicle that why it wobbles and vibrates. You need to investigate alloy wheels more closely not which ones look the nicest.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Default Not sure what I could have done different

I specifically ordered wheels that met the specs for my car, so I'm not sure what you mean. I chose the design I liked the best from the wheels that fit my car.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

As you can appreciate its very difficult to diagnose car problems on the web as we can only go by the description given, and I heard some funny ones that aren't related.

The easiest thing to do is put the original wheels & tyres bad on, it that cures the problem then as I've said the wheels aren't compatible because of the offset.

Well get onto the company that sold them if they say they fit tell them your problems.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM

New tires too? Are they run-flats or something with really stiff sidewalls?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:02 AM

Hello Vee Dub Ya,

The tires are the original tires that came on the car when I purchased it... Continental.

I think the fact that the MOMO wheels are aftermarket and don't fit the hubs perfectly is the culprit. The hub centric rings are supposed to fix that, but I've still got the slight vibration at highway speeds.