Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2181: Cooling System Performance issue. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Default P2181: Cooling System Performance issue. HELP!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've had my 2003 Golf for about a year. It's a simple 4-cylinder, 2.0 L, Gasoline, 4 Door...and I think that is all I really know about it. I'm not remotely close to knowing much about cars, I can just deal with basic issues like replacing sideview mirrors, replacing wipers, replacing bulbs and changing oil. That pretty much sums up my automechanic abilities lol but I do have a scanner for when the check engine light comes on (mostly because I don't like not having any idea of what I'm dealing with and mostly because some people are just not trustworthy). The code came up as P2181 which is a Cooling System Performance issue. The freeze frame looked like this:

DTCFRZF P2181
FEULSYS1 CL
LOAD_PCT(%) 16.9
ETC (%) 17.2
SHRTFT1 (%) -3.9
LONGFT1 (%) 0.8
RPM (/MIN) 2280
VSS (KM/H) 48

Can anyone tell me what exactly is wrong? I don't know what to make of the readings. I know that some possible causes include (but are not limited to) a bad coolant temperature sensor (CTS), stuck thermostat, bad waterpump, bad electrical connector somewhere between the CTS & the ECU (car's "brain"), or a failed cooling fan. I hear that it is most likely the coolant temperature sensor since it's pretty common. I would just like an idea of how much it's going to cost me to get this fixed since I'm due for an inspection soon. A general estimate of part costs and labor would be greatly appreciated. There is a VW dealership pretty close to where I am and I can probably get an appointment there but there are also a bunch of auto shops in the neighborhood that I can go to. I guess I just need advice as to which route would cost me less but still get the job done. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to my car, it's rather sad, but I'm hoping some car savvy person decides to help me out. Thanks ahead of time for the help!