Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mk4 golf.... 2.0 rebuild or swap engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Exclamation mk4 golf.... 2.0 rebuild or swap engine?

I am having excessive blow-by, and I want to either rebuild the engine myself, or if it is cheaper &or more efficient get a crate engine and swap it out.
I would love to build it myself, the only thing is, in auto college, I didn't experiencing ordering all the parts for a rebuild.
I would love to have some correspondence with someone who knows the ins and outs of getting all the right parts.
and I would also appreciate if it were cheaper and easier to create an engine to me to swap, which I would love some suggestions, or links to other discussions on the topic.
the reason I would like to build the engine is so I could have everything balanced and blueprinted, to have slightly greaterr efficency, and increased response.

my focus is on tuning the car to be responsive and predictable, with a solid suspension to make the car extremely predictable and balanced.
since this is my first VW, and it my response to excessive blow-by, is rebuild or swap, press share your information that is relevant, and I thank you all in advance.
Aloha
~ Makana

Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM

I have clarity from my research today. balancing and blueprint is not necessary for my application if I do decide to rebuild. if I do rebuild, and the machine shop will assist me in ordering parts.
if I decide to get a crate motor, I would like to explore the option of swapping for the 1.8t, my question with that, is would I need a matching computer? and surely the transmission is different...
my question for swapping to a 1.8t, is what else would o be looking at replacing, aside from the transmission and engine mounts?
thank you

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 AM

you are on a right place as here there are many experts to help you out ... one of them you will meet you soon ..