Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Golf cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Default 2004 Golf cranks but no start

I have a 2004 golf 2.0 that will not start. I am getting no fire at coil. I can put battery voltage to black wire on the 6 wire connection of the coil and the engine will start and run.... HELP!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Coil packs are a problem.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Post moved to correct section.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Coil packs are a problem.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Post moved to correct section.
That's the problem... I only have a cheap scanner but the code it reads is an ecm code that's why I checked to see if there was voltage at the coil which there was none so I added power to the coil to see if it would start and run and it does. I have swapped the ecm with one that was working correctly and it does the same thing..no voltage at coil and same code..ecm.. I'm using an OBD ll and when you hook it it it says...NO LINK

Last edited by earlyt766; 12-02-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding
Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Sounds like you might have an open wire or a shorted wire that supplies voltage to the coil. Try to trace the wire continuity starting at the coil connector and see if you can find a break in the wire. Test it to see if it shows continuity to ground. If it does you have a short somewhere. If not the wire may be broken somewhere.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

The other thing you should check is if you have a 109 relay in the relay box under the dash. This is the main feed to the ecu. You can crank the engine all day and it will never start. These do go faulty which you can Google. Its advisable to keep a spare one in the glovebox as they can go at anytime.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by grbullets
Sounds like you might have an open wire or a shorted wire that supplies voltage to the coil. Try to trace the wire continuity starting at the coil connector and see if you can find a break in the wire. Test it to see if it shows continuity to ground. If it does you have a short somewhere. If not the wire may be broken somewhere.
Thanks but I found my problem. When I purchased the car it had been sitting for 2 years and the main relays under the hood on the fire wall were missing so I found out what was supposed to be there and installed. The problem was I installed them in the wrong positions. I finally found another car like mine and looked and sure enough, I had put them in the wrong places,switched and it fired right up..Thanks to all for replies.