Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Golf GLS won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Default 06 Golf GLS won't stay running

My daughters 06 Golf with 2.0L engine will not stay running after it got pretty hot due to a coolant leak. She said she shut it down just before the temp got into the red zone. She said it didn't overheat but it got real hot..Now it won't run. This car would run real bad after a heavy rain and would run great after whatever it is getting wet dries up..Now after it got pretty hot it will start and seems to run for a second or two and then it dies. Sometimes you can get a quick rev just after it starts but it dies right out..Spraying starting fluid into the throttle body will not make the engine run any longer so I don't think it's a fuel issue. It starts time after time but dies right out. There are a few engine codes showing. First one is PO102 (mass air flow low input), PO638 (throttle actuator range bank 1), P2101 (throttle actuator motor circuit) and PO321 (engine speed input circuit)...I suspect that the throttle codes may have tripped after the numerous attempts to get it to run with starting fluid and opening the throttle manually. I'm not up on VW's as this is the first one we've had, so I'm not familiar with the sensors and where they are. I know that a bad mass air flow sensor made one of my american cars not run so I'm hoping this may be the same thing??? Will a bad MAF sensor make the engine do this?? Can someone please point me to the MAF sensor on this engine....Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

You have posted a few problems with this car you should keep all comments in the same thread.

VAG Error Code: 16486/000258
EOBD II Error Code: P0102

Fault Location:
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) - Signal too Low/Lower Limit Exceeded

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Loss or Power.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) signal < 66 µs.
Check/Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).

Special Notes:
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW diesel cars Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy/dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 08, group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).

Tech Notes:
Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

When is the code detected?:
An excessively low voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

VAG Error Code: 17022/001592/5308
EOBD II Error Code: P0638

Fault Location:
Throttle Actuator Control, Bank 1 - Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:

Basic setting not carried out (if applicable).
Idle speed control (ISC) actuator/throttle motor.
Accelerator pedal position sensor.
Drive-by-wire control system malfunction.
Throttle valve malfunction.
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) malfunction.

Tech Notes:
Dirty or clogged throttle body can triggered the P0638 code. Before replacing any parts try cleaning the throttle body and reset the engine light.

Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the actual Throttle Position (TP) with the target TP when the engine is running. If the difference is more than the specification, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that there is a throttle actuator control circuit range/performance problem.

VAG Error Code: 18533/008449
EOBD II Error Code: P2101

Fault Location:
Throttle Actuator Control System - Range/Performance Problem/Malfunction

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s).
Throttle actuator control motor.

Possible Solutions:

VAG Error Code: 16705/4514/000801
EOBD II Error Code: P0321

Fault Location:
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Engine shuts off.
Engine doesn't start.
Tachometer inoperative.
Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose.
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28).

Special Notes:
The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor 2 Bank 2 (G163).
When found in a VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M) or Audi A3 (8L) with 1.9l TDI-PD (AXR), check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2007067 which explains issues with electro magnetic interference. A modification to the wiring will fix this problem, extensive details can be found in the named Technical Product Information (TPI). Even though this Technical Product Information (TPI) was originally released for VW Golf/Jetta (1J/9M), a customer of ours came across the same issue on an Audi A3 (8L).
When found in a 2004 VW Golf, Jetta, or New Beetle with 1.9l TDI-PD (BEW), check for Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 2010461 (01-07-45 formerly 97-05-03) or 201463 (01-07-44 formerly 97-05-04) calling for a flash update to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and a secondary ground installation.
VW Vehicles with the Most TSBs

When is the code detected?:
The P0321 code is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the signal is out of range.

Description:
Ignition failure sensor is used to check whether the spark ignition is occurred correctly or not and also used to tachometer drive. The sensor monitors the voltage difference between a resistance which is on the battery circuit for ignition coil. When the ignition coil works properly, the electric current through the resistance is detected as voltage drop. This is confirmed for every ignition event with the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a malfunction, no ignition is possible, so the engine would not start. If there is no ignition signal for a predetermined cycle for one or two ignition coils, an ignition coil circuit failure exists.

As taken from my new https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

Old 03-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Finally got it running again. I found out that the immobilizer needed to be reset. The immobilizer light would blink no matter what key I used..I was able to reset the immobilizer by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the run position with engine off for about 15 minutes. This reset the immobilizer and it now starts easily..I replaced the coil before this immobilizer issue and this seems to have resolved the misfire issue I was having after a hard rain..After inspecting the old coil up close I could see 4 or 5 hairline cracks in the housing. A couple on the top and a couple on the sides.. I even hosed down the engine (including the coil) and it started right up without a hiccup. So it seems the coil was the culprit causing the misfire after it rains..