Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Golf GLS runs real bad after rain

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM

BTW, I looks like VW may be using a hot-wire or hot-mesh type MAF. So it is entirely possible a very high air temperature going through it, such as engine near-overheat, may affect this sensor.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by GreatPlain
You can try this to test MAF. I came across in another forum: "Do not remove the MAF from its housing, just unplug the plug connector. The ECU will then replace the faulty signal with a default value. If the car has more power or is unchanged, the MAF is definitely bad. If power is significantly worse, the MAF is good or marginal." So ECU uses some "default value" if MAF is not present at all. Which may be helpful to your troubleshooting.
Thanks for this info GP. I will definitely try this to test the MAF (once I get it running) ...I believe I have figured out why it will not stay running..I believe something happened to the immobilizer. The immobilizer light stays blinking no matter what key I use. Symptoms are exactly as if using a no chip key..It starts but runs only a second or two and dies. Sometimes I can get it to rev for a second but it dies right out...So now I have no idea if I need the keys reprogrammed, the immobilizer in the vehicle reprogrammed or both?? Is there any way to reset it??? I have no idea what I need to do..I really hope I can get this fixed without having to have it towed to a dealer..Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to get the immobilizer to recognize the keys again? Why would the immobilizer not recognize the keys anymore???? Could the car running hot have done this??? I'm really getting frustrated with this darn VW!!!! Any help will be greatly appreciated..Thank you...Dave

Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM

I believe there is a procedure to re-sync the key with the car. They are make/model specific, so don't want to give you a wrong one. but here is a link to a sample: VW remote key fob programming guide | Techwatch tech help forums. Maybe a correct one.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 AM

Upon a quick read, looks like resetting the remote function in the key is doable. However, resetting immobilizer is a different story. Looks like only a dealer can do it for you. I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles you've had with this car. Hope you'll catch a break soon. Again, best of luck.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Well I finally got it running..The issue was the immobilizer..I put the key in it and turned it on but not to start. Let it sit like that for 15 minutes and the immobilizer reset...So after replacing the coil, I have not had the misfire issue after a hard rain as of yet. It's only rained a couple times but I even cleaned the engine with the garden hose and it started right up..Upon closely inspecting the old coil, I could see a bunch of hairline cracks in the coil housing.. There were some on top and on the sides.. So it looks like the coil was the culprit..

Old 12-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Default VW Golf Runs bad after rain - SOLVED!

The problem is caused by cracks in the insulation of the ignition coil. The symptoms are: random misfire, engine shaking after rain or in damp weather. Most likely you will have Engine Check light with various codes, 300, 301, etc.. I believe the issue happens to pretty much all Golf GL 2.0L engine (as well as Jetta and Beetle). The diagnosis of this issue was a major pain. It took many years of frustration. Only thanks to this form and big thanks to grbullets, who actually pinpointed the problem.

The actual fix is very easy. Take a close look at your ignition coil (wipe off any dirt). There will be small (hairline) cracks in it. If you want to confirm, take a spray bottle, and fill with water. When it's dark outside, turn on the engine and let it idle. Spry around the ignition coil area. You will see small sparks on the surface of the coil. The engine may start running erratically. Replace the coil. Her is how: many YouTube videos out there (i.e.
). Here is what the coil looks like:

You can find on online for $30-$50. I've read somewhere VW-made coils supposed to hold up much longer, but they are also very expensive (looks like $200+). Not sure how long the knock off would last, but for $30 it may be worth a try. Best of Luck.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:46 AM

You can find on online for $30-$50. I've read somewhere VW-made coils supposed to hold up much longer, but they are also very expensive (looks like $200+). Not sure how long the knock off would last, but for $30 it may be worth a try. Best of Luck.
my ip birthday wishes tneb
I hope that helps