Something to make your CABRIO look better

Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Default Something to make your CABRIO look better

Gee, I have a lot to say but don't want to clog up the space, ok so here goes.

My Cabrio is a 99 and though the body is in good shape, that darn clear coat is failing on the top panels, figure anything that faces the sun. I don't know, looks good for maybe the first owner then it goes bad, you'd think they would engineer something better.
I priced new paint but they are outtta their mind.

I had replaced the top recently and wanted to do something with the flaking clear coat problem. I looked around and found a site that sells a product called PLASTI DIP. Now these guys usually deal with high end foreign cars, with big buck price tags. They have many reasons to bring their cars in to be "DIPPED" with a new color or removable stripes.

Let me first introduce you to the product. It is called Plasti Dip and has been picking up popularity with car fans whether to just change a color or to cover paint problems or even to seal and stop rust until the paint can be taken care of.
The product can be bought by the gallon or by the rattle can. PlastiDips claim to fame is you can easily apply it at less cost than paint and if you decide you don't want to look at it anymore, you can peel it off WITH NO DAMAGE TO THE ORIGINAL PAINT.
There are videos where owners have taken their DIPPED cars through the car wash, used pressure sprayers, used the DIP on the wheels and even on convertible tops with good results... No, it would not have helped my old top as it was coming apart by the seams and ripping. 16 years was a good run for it, and by George it held up to the very end.

I am excited about this product because it covered my clear coat problems and looks like new. I made my Cabrio a two tone, with the semi glos Plasti Dip on the upper sides. With all the peeling out of sight the car looks fresh and sharp again with the new top and the Plasti Dipped sections
You only tape where you have to and do not go behind doors, it just covers what is seen.
If you have an edge that will be seen, you will take the tape off after the last coat is applied. IF you let the dip cure, roughly about 10 minutes after application the DIP begins to cure or solidify, then the DIP will rip when you try to remove the tape. Figure on 4 to 6 applications about 10 minutes apart. There are video to see to help you become comfortable with the process.
Here are links to the colors and some pics.

Colors - https://www.dipyourcar.com/colors.html

Examples - https://www.dipyourcar.com/examples.html

Pre Dip Spray is used before dipping - https://www.dipyourcar.com/Pre-dip-spray-catagory/

The set up before application is easy, the application is even easier, a lot easier than paint. And the end result is fresh, good looking and will wear well. The Dipp gets stronger the longer it cures. Cure time is 2 weeks to a month but it sets up in 10 minutes and can be touched in an hour, so no power washing for at least 2 weeks.

I mentioned a convertible top. A blog had a Miata owner talking about his top showing some wear. He Is up in Minnesota so there is some extreme weather there. He used the Plasti Dipp to help make the top weather tight and to freshen up the surface. He has tested it over a year now, reporting how it is holding up. We were particularly interested in where the top material flexes and folds when the top goes up and down. Also the temperature extremes were of interest to me.
The owner said he has used the top, up and down, using it normally and has inspected it and can not find any wear, loosening of any DIP material, no rips, tears or flaking. Makes you think, doesn't it? And dip comes in different colors so you can change the color of your top, Hmmmmmmm.

So I just wanted to put that out there since there has to be other owners with Cabrios with clear coat problems and this is really an easy and inexpensive fix and it looks good. And you can use DIP for stripes that can be taken off later with no paint damage. Could you ask for any more...
Good luck

Last edited by VW-Sprite; 09-01-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:18 PM

Hey, I work for a VW dealer in Texas and you know the sun down here. Lots of clearcoat issues. We (Hiley VW of Arlington) have been told by the factory reps that VW has addressed the clear coat issue with new paint formulations. Sounds good to me, I just wonder why it took so long.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Default Something to make your CABRIO look better

Clear coat is a problem longterm for all the manufacturers. I have had problems with clear coat on various manufacturer paint.
I am glad to hear that VW thinks they have a fix but it will be the test of time before we know if they actually do. Personally, If i could, I'd buy a car WITHOUT the troublesome clear coating.