Possible spark plug issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Default Possible spark plug issue?

First time post so bare with me.
Alright, so I have a '98 VW Cabrio that I bought from a friend. I've had it a little over a year and for the most part it's driven pretty well.

So the first thing is if it rains or snows, essentially if it's been wet outside, the car doesn't want to start, takes forever. I discovered through a suggestion of someone I met with a similar problem with their Cabrio is that if I take out the air filter the car seems to start a bit better in wet conditions.
To me this says it's some kind of problem with the airflow, but I can't see how that would effect the initial starting performance.

Secondly, once the car does start the engine seems to have a problem firing (that's what I believe might be the problem, I am not car suave in any way). It revs the engine then coughs a little and drops the rpms. Usually if I step on the gas lightly it will do alright, however if I step on it, the car will die; rpms just drop.

Okay, so here's is the third and final problem that prompted me to look on forums to help solve my problems.
My car battery died overnight and my friend gave me a jump with her car, I let the car run for a bit, like 5 - 10 mins, then took the car out for a short run. I don't know if this has to do with with the battery dying, but as I was driving, whenever I accelerated, the engine would run for approx 30 seconds then just cut, as if the pistons weren't firing anymore. The engine would still run, but instead of accelerating with a 'bruhhhhRMMMMM' the car would just sort of go 'brhnnnnnnn' stop accelerating and slowly lose rpms.

Aside from the first problem with the airflow, everything else makes me think of spark plugs, which leads me to believe that the first problem might somehow be connected to that (wet plugs or something)

I would greatly appreciate any kind help that can be provided on this subject.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:51 AM

I can't believe that no one has offered any help here. I joined this forum today hoping to get timely answers to my questions regarding my Cabrio and then I find two posts that have not been addressed at all. I am not able to address your cars issues but I'm replying to at least show that someone cares enough to respond. Hopefully, by now, you have sought the help of a qualified auto repairman. One thing I might suggest...never drive your vehicle without the air filter. It keeps damaging debris from getting into your engine.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Thanks newomij, I actually found the solution on VWVortex.com's forum, I meant to post the solution on here but forgot. Anyways, here it is:

This is jett1774's, from VWVortex.com, solution -
here's the rundown on what caused the problem and link: http://www.autocarepronews.com/Artic...ble_codes.aspx

1. If an attempt is made to start a vehicle with a battery charge at approximately 7V (or lower), DTC P1580 (17988) will be stored in DTC memory.

2. Once DTC P1580 (17988) is stored, if the vehicle is then jump-started and driven, the second DTC, P0103 (16487), will then be stored.
Note: Throttle valve angle (when checked in “Basic setting” Function 04, display group 098) will be “0” in any throttle valve position.

3. Once these DTCs have been stored in DTC memory, the following applies:
• If the DTCs are erased and throttle body adaptation is not performed, both DTCs will be immediately stored again in DTC memory.
• If throttle body adaptation is performed (without erasing the DTCs), “error” will be displayed on the VAG 1551 scan tool in Display Group 098.
• In both cases, the vehicle may not start or may run poorly.

4. Do not replace any parts for this condition. Instead perform the following steps.

5. The following must be performed in sequence to remove stored DTCs P1580 and P0103:
• Battery condition must be OK.
• Charge and/or replace the battery according to procedures in latest version of VESIS, Group 27.

6. With battery condition OK:
• Connect the VAG 1551 scan tool.
• Erase any stored DTCs.
• Perform Throttle Body Adaptation (see appropriate Repair Manual).
• Erase the stored DTCs again.
• Set the readiness code.

Here's how I corrected it (instructions found on this site) cleared the DTC's and did a TBA without a VAG:

1. unhooked battery for 15 min.
2. reconnected battery
3.with hood still open and driver door open put key in ignition and turn half way, till dashlights and door open song came on..
4. I could hear the throttle body whirring and then click
5. removed key, closed hood, hopped in, closed door.
This is what I followed and it worked for me. All that I needed to do was disconnect the battery for 15 mins and my car ran fine after that with no codes.

As for the not starting when it's wet out, it still has problems, but there was a noticeable difference in how it ran (much smoother) when I took the wire connectors to the fuel actuator off, blew in them to clean them, then filled the connections with Die Electric Grease. An old guy at Autozone told me that trick, apparently sometimes it runs rough because it's damp inside the connection and it messes up the fuel's regulation.
So basically it still takes a bit to start when it's wet out, but it doesn't choke once the car has started.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Oh, and I typically drive with the air filter in, I would just take it out to start the car, then once it warmed up I would put the filter back in.