P0121 Error

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Default P0121 Error

Hello all,
2001 VW Cabrio. OBDII gives a P0121 error code. Everything I have researched on here points to the throttle body which has the TPS integrated within it and not some separate part, also the possibility that some "re-programming" needs to be done by a VW repair shop?.
So, with the car stationary and not in gear (stick shift) the engine revs like normal no apparent issue only until I drive it and there is a hesitation in acceleration and is not very smooth, I can still progress through the gears but still the hesitation happens. I have checked the usual.. plugs, distributor, made sure that the brakes are not binding, tires & air pressures are good.. etc. etc.
Any other thing I can check or is my conclusion that the throttle body needs to be replaced??
Thanks for any replies....

G.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

VAG Error Code: 16505/000289
EOBD II Error Code: P0121

Fault Location:
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (G69) - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Poor engine performance.

Accelerator cable adjustment.
Throttle position sensor (TPS) (G69).
Wiring/Connector(s)/Wiring Harness issue.
Failed Throttle Body.
Failed Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) 1 - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) 2 > 6.30%.
Actual Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) 1 calculated value > Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) 2 calculated value.
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) 1 calculated value > 9.00%.
Test wiring as per Factory Repair Manual

Special Notes:
For some vehicles, there may be a Technical Product Information (TPI) with instructions on replacing the terminals for the throttle body.
Some Engine Control Module (ECM)s may have a firmware update to address this issue during cold weather.
The component identifier Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (G69) may be G187 per the wiring diagrams for the vehicle in question.

When is the code detected?:
Malfunction is detected when an excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The throttle position sensor (TPS) responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the Engine Control Module (ECM) receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

As taken from my https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/