Need some help with broken timing belt

Old 06-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Smile Need some help with broken timing belt

I bought my VW Cabrio (1998) with the broken timing belt as a few people told me that it has a non-interference motor so by replacing the belt, pulleys and water pump(it comes with the kit ive seen) im hoping to be able to have a running vw.
I bought this as a project car, the seats are broke, the top has several rips/holes and....other than being in dire need of a serious bath that's actually it. The body and tires are in great shape, I've replaced the Distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, oil and filter and battery already. I can change the belt and other parts myself...my question is...How do I know for sure, if this is a non-interference motor before I take off my fake nails and get to work....yes im a girl. If I have an interference motor, I was told that the interior motor parts could be damaged to the point I will need a new motor?? Just looking for some information if anyone can.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2015, 07:03 PM

First thing I would do is a compression test which is very easy and quick to perform. The idea being that if the engine was at high RPM when the timing belt broke it is still possible to have valves and pistons make a less than favorable acquaintance. In this day of HD tech I have a cylinder camera that can be inserted in through the spark plug opening and it is amazing the detail you can see without removing the cylinder head. I would check with your local parts houses that have a tool loaning program to see if they have a camera available. I am about to do the timing belt on my 1987 Cabby 1.8 and I have owned close to 10 VW vehicles over the years. I strongly recommend that you buy QUALITY parts vs trying to save a few dollars. You do not have to buy at a VW dealer but you can buy Beck Arnley and other such quality parts at most auto parts stores. Make sure you get a water pump with metal fins vs plastic.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

All these engines are interference which means the valves will bend if the timing belt breaks. Is yours a 1.6, 1.8, 1.9 TDI, 2.0?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 06-25-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
All these engines are interference which means the valves will bend if the timing belt breaks. Is yours a 1.6, 1.8, 1.9 TDI, 2.0?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/
Its a 2.0